Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vertical Orange Bars

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rainbow_warrior

rainbow_warrior

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:38 AM

On this Windows ME machine I got a screen with 20 vertical orange bars, on a black background. At the top there was a purple splotch spanning about four bars, with a greenish shadow diagonally below it. I could see two other fainter purplish areas.

This event occurred just after blue screen error messages were both corrected by pressing any key to return to windows, Zone Alarm went into error mode, but gave a message whether I wanted to restore Zone Alarm, which then restored itself, I closed all windows except Zone Alarm, and then selected shut down. After using the power switch, it restarted normally.

Has anybody seen this screen before?

Another concern is the defragmentation utility stopped working after we partitioned the hard drive to install kubuntu. It did work before.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:27 PM

Sounds like the video card crashed - maybe some software died, while you were trying to restore the desktop. No guarantee that the desktop will restore normally . . .

And ME is famous for just crashing. I use one around here for various things and have to restart it pretty regularly.

Hopefully, installing Kubuntu didn't mess up files that were originally on the partition. The reason for defragging is to get them all in a row so some of them don't hang over into the new partition, as I understand it.

I like to keep my Kubuntu on a separate computer rather than dual-boot. But I've always had an extra computer for Linux. (I'm using Kubuntu at the moment.)

The ME filesystem is supposed to take care of itself - we've seen how that works. :-(
It's much improved in XP. At least we got the SFC filechecker back.

You can always get a third-party defragmenter if you're concerned. There is a problem in that Kubuntu doesn't need defragging (though it can be defragged). And the filesystem is invisible to ME.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users