Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Supercites Webmaster

Supercites Webmaster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:13 AM

Sometimes, my computer pauses as if it's a skipping DVD. The Audio and Video stop abruptly, and resume abruptly, every few seconds when watching a DVD, Listening to a CD, or playing a DirectX game. I once overclocked my CPU 100MHZ too fast, just on accident. Can someone help me with this?

Edited by Supercites Webmaster, 04 June 2007 - 12:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:23 AM

See this trouble shooting checklist for some ideas on what may be slowing your computer down.

Slow Computer Checklist
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Supercites Webmaster

Supercites Webmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:46 AM

That list wasn't even close to the problems I am having. My computer repair guy said I fried the CPU by overclocking.
I just hope there's ways to fix it. Re-fried CPU, anyone?

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:55 PM

That "computer repair guy" is all wet. A damaged CPU won't run at all - wouldn't be able to boot the system. If the only problem you are having is skipping video playback then you have a software or OS configuration problem, not a hardware one.

The very first thing to check is to make sure that your optical drive configuration is in "DMA mode" rather than "programmed IO" mode. XP has the nasty habit of automatically changing from DMA to programmed mode when a very dirty or damaged DVD is tried to be played.

Here's how to check and make sure that your optical drive is using DMA mode:

-) Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager button
Click the plus sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. You should now see "Primary IDE channel" and "Secondary IDE channel".

-) For each IDE channel listed right-click on their text entry and click Properties in the popup window.
Click Advanced Settings. The Transfer Mode boxes should have something like "DMA if available" or "Ultra DMA mode"; i.e., something with the word DMA in it. If one says PIO then change it to "DMA if available". Check and change, if necessary, each device of each channel.

-) Restart your system if you made any changes.

XP setting PIO mode for the DVD drive is the second most common reason for choppy video playback. Having too many unecessary programs running is the most common. For example, Quicktime really doesn't need to be running at all times.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:50 PM

Since you're an overclocker, the first thing to do when troubleshooting problems is to return the system to "standard" (no overclocking) and to remove any "custom" or "tweaked" drivers that you may be using.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users