Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice On Laptop Memory

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 reynald

reynald

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:10 AM

I'm hoping someone here can advise me on buying new RAM for my laptop (Dell Latitude D400). I'm thoroughly confused about specs & compatibility. It came with a single 512MB module (plus one open slot). Here's the specs Dell listed for the module I have:

1 K4124 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 512, 266, 64X64, 8K, 200, 512

Not very informative. I ran Crucial's memory configurator and it says if I want to get another 512MB, this is what I need:

512MB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR PC2700

The Sysoftware Sandra system analyzer identifies what I currently have as:

512MB DDR-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed: 2x 133MHz (266 MHz data rate)
DIMM Synchronous DDR-SDRAM 512MB/64@266Mts

One option is just to get another 512MB module for the open slot, but I'm not sure what speed or PCxxxx it can/should be to be compatible with my existing module. Crucial wants $53 for their 512MB module. I'm thinking a better option might be to spend a little more and get two 1GB modules (discarding the 512MB one I currently have), but I canít tell if the 1GB modules I see advertised many places will work for me. Some list speed; some just list PC- or PC2-(whatever) Ė Iím lost. Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:48 AM

Here is an example from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820150633

much better prices than direct from crucial.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:04 PM

There are benefits to ordering from Crucial.com
1) Lifetime guarantee
2) Rapid delivery - and rapid replacement if the shipment gets lost
3) Not too much more expensive than NewEgg
4) Guarantee'd compatibility
5) Comes with instructions
6) Good tech support
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 reynald

reynald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

Thanks, guys. I'm wondering if I can maybe get the best of both worlds with this 1GB Crucial module that's currently only $50 after rebate at Buy.com:

http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial_1gb_pc2700...2/10393180.html

I suppose I should see if I can return it if it doesn't work.

#5 Rabid Ferrets of DOOM!!!

Rabid Ferrets of DOOM!!!

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:19 AM

If you can find out the CAS latency of your current chip, it will decently improve your performance to get the second chip at the same latency.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:08 AM

The Buy.com RAM appears to have the same specs as the RAM that Crucial recommends for your system - but the part number is different. In short, it'll fit but I'd expect warranty issues to be a bit confusing.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users