Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Remove...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Sharpes

Sharpes

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:13 PM

... some of the items from the Start Menu (the "Help and Support" button, the "Documents" button, etc.)? I'm also using the Windows Classic view, if that matters.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:35 PM

What type of view are you in the start menu?
right click the taskbar>click propeties>click on the StartMenu tab and tell us which view is currently selected
Is it Startmenu? or Classic Menu?
If you are currently selected StartMenu,click on Classic Start Menu

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 Sharpes

Sharpes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:40 PM

What type of view are you in the start menu?
right click the taskbar>click propeties>click on the StartMenu tab and tell us which view is currently selected
Is it Startmenu? or Classic Menu?
If you are currently selected StartMenu,click on Classic Start Menu

Er, yeah, I'm using the Classic Start Menu. That's what I meant to say in my first post.

#4 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:45 PM

Oh ok,click on customize being there
then uncheck all of the undesired buttons that you dont want
(It may not be complete so ill check the start menu folder later...)

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#5 Sharpes

Sharpes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:49 PM

Oh ok,click on customize being there
then uncheck all of the undesired buttons that you dont want
(It may not be complete so ill check the start menu folder later...)

I've looked there; there isn't an option that allows me to remove those buttons.

Posted Image

#6 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:01 PM

For removing help&support

Follow it step by step for this is a REGISTRY EDIT
http://www.winxptutor.com/hidehlp.htm
Follow this category:
For Windows Classic Start menu, you may need to modify the registry directly
* Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
* Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Advanced

* In the right-pane, create a new REG_DWORD value named NoStartMenuHelp
* Double-click NoStartMenuHelp and set it's value to 1
* Close Regedit.

Edited by Commander Gman, 03 June 2007 - 09:01 PM.

#7 Sharpes

Sharpes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:06 PM

For removing help&support

Follow it step by step for this is a REGISTRY EDIT
http://www.winxptutor.com/hidehlp.htm
Follow this category:
For Windows Classic Start menu, you may need to modify the registry directly
* Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
* Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Advanced

* In the right-pane, create a new REG_DWORD value named NoStartMenuHelp
* Double-click NoStartMenuHelp and set it's value to 1
* Close Regedit.

Oh, I already knew that. I was just wondering if there was a way to do it without editing the registry. I probably should've said that in my first post... sorry! :thumbsup: Thanks, though.

#8 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:14 PM

Also:you may need to restart your computer in order to take effect if it won't work
Don't forget to backup the registry so you can revert back to the original state

Edited by Commander Gman, 03 June 2007 - 09:17 PM.

#9 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:16 PM

Well i think that this is the only solution for now
But if you're not willing to go with the registry,then ill try to find another solution

Edited by Commander Gman, 03 June 2007 - 09:18 PM.

#10 Sharpes

Sharpes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

Well i think that this is the only solution for now
But if you're not willing to go with the registry,then ill try to find another solution

I don't have a problem with using the registry; there's no need to find another solution. :thumbsup: I just don't like having to keep the .reg files to remove and restore the buttons. It makes me feel cluttered.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:23 PM

No need to go into the registry. Open up the start menu. Right click on whatever you want to remove then choose Delete. You'll be asked if you are sure you want to delete it, check yes, and it goes away.

#12 Sharpes

Sharpes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:37 AM

No need to go into the registry. Open up the start menu. Right click on whatever you want to remove then choose Delete. You'll be asked if you are sure you want to delete it, check yes, and it goes away.

... :thumbsup:

#13 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:05 AM

Well i tried it but it wont work :thumbsup:
nothing happens when i right click :flowers:
I'm not sure if this is because that this method can only work with a particular OS?

Edited by Commander Gman, 04 June 2007 - 08:07 AM.

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:08 AM

I just did some checking here. And found that some things cannot be removed using my method above. My Documents shows no way Delete option when I clicked on it.
But the method does work for getting rid of other entries, like installed programs.

#15 Sharpes

Sharpes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:42 AM

Guys, I think it's safe to say there's no way to remove the buttons without editing the registry... so why don't we just let this topic die? :thumbsup:

Edited by Sharpes, 04 June 2007 - 10:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users