Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just An Idea

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:18 PM

I've been thinking about this since I've heard about the spamming issue. How about adding another status of users, to clear away spamming and things of that sort. This will give moderators a break, but they could also restore them if they see fit, while the others (Idk what to call them) could not, and must have a reasonable excuse for their actions. Seeing as there is always a bunch of people on at different times it will allow there to be someone out there ensuring that there is no chaos, but limiting them so they do not abuse their power.

Just a simple thought.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:34 PM

I've thought of something similar, and emailed a Global Moderator who kindly passed it along to Admin and Site admin. It's being considered, but it will be a while before any changes are made, as the list of "things to do" here at BC is usually long! :flowers:

Just so you know, the BC staff is aware of members concerns and are dealing with them accordingly! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:08 PM

I've been the "Admin" on two boards.

From what I've experienced, to deal with a Spammer requires a level that can both delete the offending posts and restrict/remove the posting priveleges of the Spammer. On other boards, the Moderators can "warn" a member if they are violating a board rule. Once a specific number of warnings have been issued to a member, their posting priveleges are automatically suspended until an Admin resets their permission. A moderator can escalate the number of warnings to that suspended number incrementally or all at once when required.

This board has 3 Admins, 4 Global Moderators, and 11 Moderators who, presumably can handle this level of board control needed to react to a Spammer on this board, I believe.

Between the 18 of them, I wonder how many hours of the day none of them are checking the board? I don't believe I've ever logged on and not seen at least one of them here.

If this board enables the "Warning" system it may be all that's needed to keep the Spammers at bay except in those rare occassions when none of the Admin/mods are here.

Just a suggestion from one who has been there and done that.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:03 PM

Your BC staff has always made forum integrity a major focus, and have instituted many program/system changes designed to thwart Spammers. The Member approval process, for example, was instituted to help control spam.
With a few recent exceptions, I think we have been successful in keeping spam down while BC continues to grow in Members and activity. However, we are actively discussing procedures and methods to improve our efforts in preventing spammers in the first place, quickly removing spam posts and suspending spammer's posting ability.
Regards,
John
Global Moderator
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:57 AM

For a big site, I think we do very well to keep spam under control. If spam is posted, although we do our best to remove it as quickly as possible with the help from our members, everyone knows now that spam is everywhere, you can't really get away from it; if spam is posted we all know to ignore it, not to even the open the thread, and most importantly not to click on links. I do think you've raised a good question Steve, but I think the status you requested basically is a moderator! It's opened up a good question though...

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:22 AM

I completely agree with the Moderators here.It would be putting too much responsibility on Members,and the Policing should be left to the Moderators.We are putting forward ideas in the hope a Solution can be found regarding the times when no Moderator is on BC. And this happens often but only for short periods.Normally the weekends is when they strike mostly,I have noticed.Our job is to ignore the Spammers and try and contact a Moderator if possible. The Moderators have told us what to do and what not to do and I feel more comfortable now,if and when it happens again.The Moderators do a great job.IMHO. :thumbsup:

EDIT.I only clicked on the Spammers link because I had just woken up and didn't realize it was a Spammers Post. :flowers:

Edited by DSTM, 09 June 2007 - 07:28 AM.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:36 PM

Just trying to help. What I suggested could go a few different ways (assuming that's what you're talking about D-Trojanator). Moving spam to a single area would save mods/glomods some time, as this would lessen the time they spend looking for spam in all the areas, and focusing more on one area so they can ban/delete spammers.

I'm certainly not pushing for anything-->was just trying to help! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Oh, and don't feel bad DSTM, I've actually replied to a spammer before....it was the ThisIsSpamSoDontBother spammer....grrrrrrr :flowers:

Edited by stevealmighty, 09 June 2007 - 01:38 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

just my two cents worth, as i can see from my time here spamming is not really a massive issueand when it is ,it is usually sorted out quickly.
but one thing i would like to add is from what i can see on the moderating team page is that there is only one mod from europe that being D-Trojanator and while i may be wrong(some mods have no place stated) there is always going to be times when no admin or mods are here(as we all need to sleep).my personal opinion is maybe we should have a couple of more mods from europe and asia to take a little pressure off the mods from the u.s,and keep these spammers at bay completely. :thumbsup:

what i mean with the above is with the time diffrence the forum could be monitored 24/7

Edited by mz30, 09 June 2007 - 02:05 PM.

god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:21 PM

just my two cents worth, as i can see from my time here spamming is not really a massive issueand when it is ,it is usually sorted out quickly.
but one thing i would like to add is from what i can see on the moderating team page is that there is only one mod from europe that being D-Trojanator and while i may be wrong(some mods have no place stated) there is always going to be times when no admin or mods are here(as we all need to sleep).my personal opinion is maybe we should have a couple of more mods from europe and asia to take a little pressure off the mods from the u.s,and keep these spammers at bay completely. :thumbsup:

what i mean with the above is with the time diffrence the forum could be monitored 24/7

I think you have made an excellent point 'mz30' Having the bulk of the Moderators based in the US,and needing sleep like everyone else,it does leave the Spamming door open in the early AM.'D-Troganator' is the only Mod as you say that I know of from England.Perhaps it may be an idea for a couple of Proven Trusted Members from another time zone,to be given Restricted Mod powers to deal with this problem,as it arises.England has many Regular Members on BC.I think by trialling this idea,BC would have all their Bases covered. :flowers:

#10 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:27 PM

Several Moderators have already presented the BC status at this time.
We're working on it - 'nuf said?
Topic is now closed.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users