Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Fine, 2nd Monitor Fine - But No Display!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Betrock

Betrock

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:18 PM

Briefly, I've been using my monitor instead of the laptop screen for over a year now. Everything works fine. Suddenly yesterday the monitor went black! It's actually still functioning on some level but doesn't keep the display. I was doing something on the internet, possibly saving a password in RoboForm, maybe just wandering. There are no error codes or indicators.

'Longly'....
When I reboot, having previously changed the setting to dual - laptop & monitor, it briefly flashes the Vaio splash screen, then black, then briefly flashes the Windows splash screen. Then black. The laptop screen is fine. I've tried both 'Single Display - Monitor' and 'dual display' - Laptop as Primary; 'dual display' - Monitor as Primary, and in none does the monitor work - laptop screen always works.

If I unplug the VGA output from the laptop, then plug it back in, the monitor briefly (maybe 1-2 seconds) shows the desktop images perfectly! Then black! It seems that everything is actually working just not properly! It's making me crazy. I did try downloading the most current graphics driver from Intel...nothing. The monitor continues to show a green light (indicating that it is receiving a signal). The audio (plugged from the monitor into the front of the laptop by a separate plug) continues to play thru the monitor.

To Recap: Display on 'Monitor only' has worked just fine for a year. Now it won't show any image, yet is receiving the signal. When first plugged in, the monitor displays whatever is on the laptop screen perfectly with no break up or distortion -but only for 1-2 seconds. There are no error codes. Graphics file has been updated.

Any help, ideas, thoughts would be greatly appreciated. (See below for hardware details.)
If I should post this in a different Forum, please let me know.

Thanks,
Betrock

OS; Win XP Pro
Virus: AVG 7.5 Pro
Popup: AdsGone

Laptop:
Sony Vaio FS740
533MHz
1024MB memory
Graphics: Mobile Intel 915Gm/G-MS, 910GML Express Chipset Vers 6.14.10.3764
128MB Dynamically shared memory
Graphics Out: VGA out w/Smart Display Sensor

Monitor:
Viewsonic VA700
17" LCD Flat Screen
H Freq 80 KHz
V Freq 75 Hz
Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Anthing else I should add?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:27 PM

I don't have the exact same setup as you do, but I do have an integrated graphics and a graphics card. The computer BIOS first starts up showing on the integrated graphics screen, but the computer then loads the computer on my graphics card. It may be that you are just perfectly timing this 'transition'. I would reccommend going into display properties, making sure your laptop screen is set as your default monitor but the external monitor is also in use. Check the windows XP help and support center. It may just be your video card is maxed as well... hope this helps.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 Betrock

Betrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:40 PM

Thanks, Ryan, for your response. But I've checked the settings in Graphic properties and theyare correct. The card drivers are the latest, and besides it all worked just up until a few days ago.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:11 PM

Have you tried the monitor on a different machine.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users