Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Over 6,000,000 I/o Reads For Lsass.exe In Task Manager Processes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:28 PM

I was reading through the thread started by Aliboy66 on low virtual memory. I read Nikas' reply and decided to check out my own PC and found that it was set to 1563MB and as I have 1GB of RAM was happy as this was what Nikas recommended.

I then followed Usasma's instructions on checking the disc reads. The majority of them were from the small 100's to the small 1000's but three in particular stood out.

(1) lsass.exe-----System-------Mem/Us = 1,164k-------I/O Reads = 6,060,204.
(2) csrss.exe----System-------Mem/Us = 3,128--------I/O Reads = 776,169.
(3) cmdagent-----System-------Mem/Us = 5,824-------I/O Reads = 3,052,505.

cmdagent is to do with my Comodo Firewall Pro. I Googled the other two and found that they are both genuine Windows files but would like an opinion on whether the disc reads are too high and what can I do about it.

Again thanks in advance,
Bluesjunior.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:48 AM

The IO Reads column is used to see if there's excessive disk reads going on. Excessive is a relative term, and is only of use when applied to a particular set of circumstances that cause one to believe there might be an issue with a misbehaving program (rather than another cause that might have been discovered earlier in the troubleshooting process).

That being said, 6 million and 3 million reads is a bit excessive for all but a few programs (mostly antispyware and antivirus). The most common cause these days is a corrupt Windows Update. I'd suggest trying to disable Windows Update to see if this fixes the issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for the reply Usasma,
I have Windows Update set on Notify me when downloads are available and I will install them myself. is it this you mean I should disable?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:40 PM

Yes, disable it to see if that's what's causing the excessive IO Reads (this in only a temporary measure - re-enable it after you're done testing). If that's it, then there's fixes available for it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:50 PM

Thanks again Usasma, Will Do.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:53 PM

An interesting thread about Windows Update repairs: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry537305

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users