Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Intel Gamer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:04 PM

What is the best Intel gaming processor out right now?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:15 AM

There are two ways to approach this question. With and without a regard to the price.

Ignoring price the question is easy. The best Intel gaming processor is the all around best, and most expensive, Intel processor, the Core 2 Extreme QX6800. It has a price tag of $1300 and is available in limited quantities only.

Taking price into account changes everything because the value of the QX6800 is horrible. The Core 2 Duo E6600 has an attractive price/performance. The Core 2 Duo E4300 and E4400 have good value at a much lower price point.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:34 AM

I saw a Core 2 Extreme QX6700 in the COMPUTER SHOPPER magazine
But thanks for the update Mr Alpha,QX6800 is the best....for the meantime :thumbsup:
I wonder if Core 2 Quad is better than this? or vice versa
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2quad/index.htm

Edited by Commander Gman, 04 June 2007 - 08:35 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:12 PM

I would think that a Core 2 Quad would be terrible for gaming until multi-threaded games come out. Do you think that a Pentium D would suit me fine for casual gaming? I know they are older cores, but surely pwn my Pentium 4 478?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:34 PM

Quad Core is useless for Gaming

Sure, the article isn't a recent as some, but it would seem, right now, Dual Core will give you the best bang for the buck in a high-end Gaming machine.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:36 PM

On the other hand -

Valve Loves Quad Core

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:06 PM

Well obviously ther is the fact that each core in the Core 2 Quad has a 2MB L2 Cache, runs at 1033 or 1333 mhz, and has the new amazing Core 2 Quad architecture, but really you are only using one core when gaming, so the other three are doing...what? Wasted money, when a C2D is like 1/4 the price and a Pentium D is like 1/10 the price. And why isn't Intel busy making any single-cores with a 4M cache which would obviously be cheap and game superbly?

Edited by Ryan 3000, 04 June 2007 - 09:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users