Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erratic Sound

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gswiss

Gswiss

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:51 PM

Built-in audio card on my friend's MB behaves oddly.

When you listen to wmv and dvd video, the sound is garbled. When you listen to cd audio or sound on a Powerpoint document, everything is fine.

We installed a brand new PCI sound card and the result is identical.

We re-installed XP and results are identical with built-in sound card and PCI sound card.

We did download k-lite codec pack but there was no improvement at all. Maybe we didn't activate the codecs properly.

Could anybody let us know where we missed out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:26 PM

I had the same problem with my PC, but I think you may be overlooking a coincidence. My problem was that the front audio port was getting magnetic interference from the HDD, which I did not get when I plugged into the back. Try using the audio plug on the rear of the case. BTW try using Dell Driver Reset Tool if its a Dell and the initial drivers worked better.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 03 June 2007 - 08:30 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 Gswiss

Gswiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:12 AM

I am using the ports behind the box. The odd thing is why in some cases sound comes through fine and in others not. And these situations, good or bad, are identical when using built-in and new PCI cards.

#4 Gswiss

Gswiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:41 AM

After all that time, I finally got to the bottom of this by replacing the pci graphic card (!) by an AGP card. It's a 1.7 Ghz Pentium IV and probably that the graphics were encroaching onto the sound cycles. It's your mentioning "interference" which struck me all of a sudden. Thank you for your observation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users