Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Or Sata

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:19 PM

Does some one make an external hard drive that uses SATA and would it be better than USB
All I have been able to find is USB. Some thing like a cable adapter that plugs into your M/B and has a cable you install for external use on the outside of the tower.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:32 PM

The entire idea behind USB External Drives is that you are either out of SATA/IDE's or out of drive bays to put them in, so they are purpose-built to USB. I would think there are no external SATAs.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:04 PM

No I'm not out of either I want to be able to put things on external drive like ledgers and accounting things and keep them from being on my computer when I'm on line. Would a USB connection be better that a SATA connection. I want to install M/S office accounting and I don't want it on my computer when I'm surfing on line. This is just a thought of mine, I will live with USB if that is the only choice I have and/or it is the best.

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:10 PM

For all I know, you would have to manually connect a SATA plug into your mobo (open ur case) every time you wanted to remove the drive and you would have wires everywhere. I would reccommend something like a USB RAID setup if you have a lot of info or just a Western Digital Passport drive for those small things (up to 80-ish gigs) as a USB plug is easily accessible externally. BTW so far as I know, the WD Passport is the only drive that doesnt need a power cable, fully run by the USB line.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 03 June 2007 - 07:11 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:33 PM

I like you idea and will look into it. Thank you for your help.

#6 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:20 AM

Well, you actually can use sata externally, it's called esata.

http://www.sata-io.org/esata.asp

I doubt it would be easy for use with a single laptop though, it would be more for commercial applications.

Posted Image

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:07 PM

We use external SATA at work for slaving hard drives - the cabling is a nightmare! There are (can't recall where) adaptors for this - but the downside is that you'll have to power down your computer just to add or remove a drive from the PC. USB avoids this hassle (and you can get SATA drive caddies that work on USB).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:06 PM

Some motherboards come with external SATA connectors which makes it much easier to copy over huge files. I think my board has it, it's an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

3939.png

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

I THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HELP! It will make my choice a lot easier. I don't need a hassle. I knew I would get the info I needed on B/C. The shut down to use a SATA I don't think I would like. Thanks again

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:40 PM

Oceot. Nice web sit. Thank you!

#11 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:43 PM

Most external Hard drives are either SATA or IDE drives put into an enclosure that changes the interface to USB or FireWire. I would suggest that if you are going to use the external with a laptop to get one that doesnt require an external power source.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users