Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Programs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jonni67

jonni67

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:29 PM

Hi Guys, :flowers: I would like to find out some information about my machine please. I am a bit of a novice, and the answer I would like to know is: How can I delete all the programs and data on my hard drive, and just leave Windows xp sp2 installed? Many thanks in anticipation, jonni67 :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:15 PM

You could start by using the Add\remove Programs feature in your Control Panel. If I may ask, why do you want to do this?

Edited by acklan, 03 June 2007 - 02:15 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:00 PM

It's not a good idea to delete everything you see in Add/Remove Programs. You need to keep a firewall, anti-virus, windows security updates, anti-spyware programs. Remove these and it's an open invitation to infections and problems.

#4 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:03 PM

Windows updates will not be shown until the check box at the top labled show updates is checked. but I agree it would be stupid to uninstall all of the programs.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:12 PM

Why not give us a list of what is installed, and one of us can tell you what is safe to uninstall.

Or just try this: http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

**edited to add link**

Edited by oldf@rt, 03 June 2007 - 06:13 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 jonni67

jonni67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:39 PM

Hi agen Guys, thanks for all your answers on my question. Well I was hoping to put the hard disk into another computer and start agen. Does this mean that it will have to be formatted and Windows reinstalled - which i am trying to avoid - bco of the work involved? many thanks for any further answers, Regards, jonni67. :thumbsup:

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:20 PM

you can try to pull the hard drive and place it in the other PC. It works some times, most times it doesnt (then you have to reinstall windows).

Posted Image

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:22 PM

Just to be on the safe side, back up anything you don't want to lose-pictures, text files, music, etc BEFORE you remove the drive from your current computer. If it doesn't work and you have to do an install of Windows, you'll lose everything. If you use an email client (Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc) back up any messages you don't want to lose, and the address book. These will be lost during an install. The only thing you can do is switch the drive to your other computer and hope it works.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 June 2007 - 08:25 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:22 PM

The problem with putting the hdd into another computer is that the hdd has recognized the chip set and drivers from the old motherboard and when you try to install the hdd to a new motherboard with a different chip set it can cause it to be confused to the point that in most cases you will need to reinstall the OS.

Edited by dc3, 03 June 2007 - 08:23 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:14 PM

You should not have to do a full install, if you move the hard drive a repair install will work, and you dont normally lose any data.

Here is a great link on how to do the repair install:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:51 AM

Move Current Hard Drive to a New Windows XP System
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 jonni67

jonni67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:06 AM

Hi Folks :flowers: many thanks for all your replies, I guess I will have to go with the Windows repair install option. Your answers are much appreciated. Best regards, jonni67. :thumbsup:

#13 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:07 PM

If you simply want to move your hard drive to another system and "start again" then you may as well do a regular install. The advantage over a repair reinstall is that you will be gauranteed that no Registry errors will be carried over from your old install. A "repair install" has the unique effect of preserving the Registry, errors and all, and keeping all the installed programs. It appears that this is definitely *not* what you want - you want a clean system.

Be sure to reinstall crucial anti-malware programs. Here's a basic list of good (and free!) apps:

AVG antivirus OR Avast! antivirus (either is a great choice and have advantages over McAfee & Norton/Symantec)
ZoneAlarm firewall - do *not* rely on the built-in XP firewall
SpywareGuard
SpywareBlaster
Startup Inspector - a startup program identifier; allows you to disable any startup program
Startup Monitor - forces a new program to require your approval for automatic startup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users