Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forwards In Email

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:34 PM

Just wondering if this might work?
I get emails from trusted friends, but they usually send me emails that have been forwarded to many other people. Sometimes, an attachment is involved.

Is it possible for my system to get infected with a virus because of these forwards? I know attachments are risky.

I want to be able to communicate with my friends, but don't want to risk harming my system. I'm wondering if I tell them to copy+paste something before sending it to me, will my system be safer?

Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:35 PM

Attachments are always risky.
When you get an attachment, save it to your harddrive, and scan it with a up to date Antivirus program, before opening it.
This will greatly reduce the chance of infection.

I always Copy/Paste an E-mail that has several forwards on it.
I hate getting E-mails like that, so I don't send them that way.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:29 AM

It is simply good policy not to carelessly or automatically forward E-mails that have been forwarded to YOU---the sending address may be forged, and not all ISPs rigorously scan E-mails for viruses---, and even sounder policy to take responsibility to assure that any attachment included is virus-free before in turn sending it to others.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:47 AM

The attachment part is my main concern as that's where so many viruses come from.
I am running a program called MailWasher Pro that scans+holds my emails before I process them to read. I also run AVG Free.
Does this mean that the attachments sent to me are now deemed "clean"/safe?
I know I don't want my system infected nor do I want to infect anyone else.
I looked thru the tutorials here, but didn't see anything specific to my query.
Can someone redirect me?
Thank you
honu1

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:22 PM

Right click on the AVG Free Edition Icon in the system tray, then click on Launch AVG Control Center.
The Security Status page will indicate with a green check mark beside the E-mail Scanner that it is Fully Functional to Scan Incoming and Outgoing Mail.
So now your forwarded e-mail has been scanned coming and going by AVG.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:29 PM

My server offers the option to keep Email containing certain items (i.e. Attachments) I have incorporated this in my own email. Periodically I go to my servers Email page and chck my mail for these. I can read them there at my leisure and either accept them or delete them. Very generous of them. They take a larger risk than I for infiltrationg virus's!

#7 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:16 PM

Very interesting concept, uhaligani.
Could you explain that some more for me?
Thank you.
honu1

#8 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:38 PM

Thanks TMacK. I just checked + I do have the green checks. Thanks for the input :thumbsup:

#9 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:28 PM

Very interesting concept, uhaligani.
Could you explain that some more for me?
Thank you.
honu1

I may have used the wrong term. It is my ISP who have this service. It has nothing to do with the OS, of course. The ISP will retain all or any mail designated. The small penalty is that there is a dleteion date, so I have to be diligent and make sure it is read and dealt with, in my case, within two days.
Much like Hotmail or yahoo if you wish. If you are unknowledable or dumb. you can still download mail which is potentially harmful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users