Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Avg Anti-spyware 7.5 Free Edition

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:27 PM

Hi,

I just realized today that AVG ANTI-SPYWARE Free is a totally different program than the AVG ANTI-VIRUS Free program I already have. Actually, I may have known that and never downloaded it because it downloads the paid version for a 30-day free trial, then deactivates the paid features -- and on top of that, I'm always fearful of adding a new program and having other conflicts, etc. etc.

So if I currently have AVG Anti-virus Free, Spybot, and Ad-Aware SE Free, and AVG Rootkit Free and run scans once a week or so, do I really need to consider downloading the AVG Anti-Spyware Free? The free version is just a spyware scan, a la Spybot, is that right? I'd rather not have another program installed that could cause potential conflicts (and something else I'd need to run, etc.) if I don't need to. I don't do any "risky" internet surfing, etc.

So am I covered for general "spyware scan" with Spybot? Or is AVG Anti-Spyware Free going to give me something else in its scan?

Note: I'm not really looking for suggestions for other programs to install/try -- that would defeat the point of my post! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:17 PM

AVG Anti-Spyware, formerly Edwido, is an excellent program. I have it in addition to Spybot, SUPERAntispyware Free, and AdAware. Different companies designate different things as spyware, so one program will find what others will miss. AVG AntiSpyware has indeed found things that Spybot and AdAware have missed.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

AVG Anti-Spyware, formerly Edwido, is an excellent program. I have it in addition to Spybot, SUPERAntispyware Free, and AdAware. Different companies designate different things as spyware, so one program will find what others will miss. AVG AntiSpyware has indeed found things that Spybot and AdAware have missed.

Is it an entirely different program than AVG Anti-virus Free? Or does it work in conjunction with that? (Does it haven an icon in the sys-tray with a control center like AVG a/v free, or is it a think you run from scratch like Spybot?)

Any problems/issues/conflicts between AVG Anti-Spyware or anything else?

Once the "trial version" runs out and it becomes the free version, anything iffy happen then? Any annoying pop-ups or reminders to buy the regular version?

I have Windows XP and use Firefox (just fyi). EDIT: I ALSO USE ZONE ALARM FREE 7.0.302.

Is it running all the time or is it a scan like Spybot and Ad-Aware?

It sounds like its running all the time in the paid/trial version, but then is just a scan in the free version. Is that correct?

If so, can you turn off the monitoring all the time in the trial version and just use it as a scan?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 03 June 2007 - 01:57 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:45 PM

After the 30 day trial, active protection extensions will be deactivated and the program will turn into a feature-limited freeware version that you can can continue to use as an on-demand scanner or you may purchase a license to use the full version. I recommend scanning with AVG AS (it has a special "clean driver" for removing persistent malware) as a supplement to your anti-virus.

There are instructions here to disable real-time protection and use AVG Anti-Spyware as a stand-alone scanner.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:16 PM

After the 30 day trial, active protection extensions will be deactivated and the program will turn into a feature-limited freeware version that you can can continue to use as an on-demand scanner or you may purchase a license to use the full version. I recommend scanning with AVG AS (it has a special "clean driver" for removing persistent malware) as a supplement to your anti-virus.

There are instructions here to disable real-time protection and use AVG Anti-Spyware as a stand-alone scanner.

Thanks for the reply and link!

So any thoughts/info on whether or not it has any conflicts with AVG a/v free (well, I guess it wouldn't there!), SpyBot, Ad-Aware SE Free, or Zone Alarm 7.0.302 free?

So it sounds like I'd just want to install it to use in Normal Mode (since I don't have any spyware issues that I'm aware of) and also just turn off the real-time protection from the get go?

What else gets "taken away" after the 30 days? Anything that also has to be turned off or something?

If I install it in normal mode and immediately turn off the real-time scanner, then it is totally just the same as having a stand-alone scanner? Or are there other things/features running that go away after the 30 days?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:30 PM

There should be no conflicts while using AVG AS with your other programs. Since its free for 30 days, I recommend you take advantage of its real-time protection to see how it works and if its something you might want to keep. See here and look under What you do not get.

The Windows operating system protects files when they are being accessed by an application or a program. Malware writers create programs that can insert itself and hide in these protected areas when the files are being used. Using Safe Mode reduces the number of modules requesting files to only the essentials to make your computer functional. This in turn reduces the number of hiding places for malware, making it easier to find and delete the offending files. Using your anti-virus and anti-malware tools, in Safe Mode also speeds up the scanning process.

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:42 PM

Using your anti-virus and anti-malware tools, in Safe Mode also speeds up the scanning process.

Thanks for the reply. You had mentioned this in another thread of mine, but I had posted that when I did my AVG free a/v scan in safe mode on my laptop, it took 4 times as long (and I eventually stopped it because I had to use my computer) as it does in regular mode. I didn't hear back on why you thought that might be...?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=530197

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:58 PM

In most cases it does speed up the scanning process. However, there can be times when a scan seems to gets hung up on a file or particular location for some reason. As long as it completes, that's what counts.

#9 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:05 PM

In most cases it does speed up the scanning process. However, there can be times when a scan seems to gets hung up on a file or particular location for some reason. As long as it completes, that's what counts.

When it was scanning in safe mode, I could see that literally each and every file was taking longer than normal. Usually it wizzes right through in normal mode, but it was slower for each file throughout in safe mode...

Maybe the fact that the AVG Control Center doesn't all load in safe mode and just the a/v scanner does has something to do with it? (I remember it saying something to that regard when I opened the a/v scanner. I had to do so on its own because the control center couldn't open in safe mode, or something like that... I don't recall the exact thing it said...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users