Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Deletes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sue52

sue52

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:39 AM

My computer is not allowing me to delete startup items and I am the administer of this computer - what can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:18 AM

What is your Operating System (XP Home, XP Pro, etc., ....)?
What startup items are you trying to delete?
How are you trying to delete them?
Were there any error messages?
If so, what was the exact error message?
Please give as much information as possible.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ajetrumpet

ajetrumpet

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:40 AM

why are you trying to delete a startup item in the first place? It probably has some significance if it is in your startup menu by default. The startup items I see on my computer that I don't need I just disable or uncheck the box next to its name. I would be hesitant about deleting any startup process or program if it is in my startup menu by default from the manufacturer.

Edited by ajetrumpet, 03 June 2007 - 11:41 AM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:16 PM

It probably has some significance if it is in your startup menu by default.

Not necessarily, true.
Many programs, when installed, insist on running at startup, when there is no need for them to.
A couple I can think of, are Word, and QuickTime.
These programs can be started when needed, and don't need to run at startup.
Running unnecessary programs at startup, just slows your computers startup, and uses resources that can be used for other things.

To find out what programs are necessary to have running at startup, and the ones that aren't, you can check them out using the Startup Programs List tab, at the top of this page.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 ajetrumpet

ajetrumpet

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:32 PM

Some programs insist on running at startup? If they do, are they listed in the task manager?
I have never had any programs automatically startup with windows. Do they usually do this immediately after they are installed on the computer? and if that's the case, they should be listed in config. right?

By the way, if there is a startup item or program in config., is there anyway at all to permanently delete the item from the startup list?
There are some files sitting in my list that I know I will never use (because I understand the purposes and functions of these).

Edited by ajetrumpet, 07 June 2007 - 02:38 PM.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 03:32 PM

Try to disable programs that run at startup, from inside the program itself, using the Options menu.

msconfig should not be used as a startup monitor.
That's not what it was designed for.
msconfig, was designed as a troubleshooting tool.

To control Startup applications, that can't be disabled from the programs Option menu, use a third-party startup monitor.
Two good ones, are mike Lin's Startup Control Panel, and Startup Inspector.

If you use Spybot, it also has a startup manager:
Open Spybot
On the tool bar, at the top left, click Mode.
Select Advanced Mode.
A box will open, asking if you want to go to Advanced Mode, click Yes.
On the left, at the bottom, click the Tools bar.
Select System Startup.

This lists all the programs set to run at startup.
Information on each entry can be obtained by highlighting the entry (single click), then clicking on the set of double arrows on the far right.
If there's no information on the entry, you can check it with the Startup List located on the tab at the top of the forum pages.

Note:
Always research an entry before stopping it. Stopping the wrong entry could cripple a necessary program, causing problems.

Remove the check from anything you want to stop from running at startup.
If you have TeaTimer running, a box will pop up asking if you want to allow this change.
Click Allow change.
Do this for every entry you want to stop running at startup.
When finished, close Spybot.

#7 ajetrumpet

ajetrumpet

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:40 AM

Do you recommend this Spybot program? I have heard of it, but I've never used.
I have some programs from Uniblue, including their Wintasks program. It's OK, I assume its just like the rest of them.

You've got me confused on the difference between programs and files. Those words are interchangable on this site aren't they? Same things?

Why should I not use msconfig to disable things (other than the fact that it is not meant to serve that purpose)? Will the startup programs that you recommended show me a longer this than what I see now? Will it show me any more detail? It looks like it does from the links that you provided.

In regards to system files that have to run at startup, they are not programs, so I assume you are not referring to these types of files when you talk about disabling programs via options....???

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:16 PM

Spybot is a spyware detection, and removal, program.
It also has a couple of other useful features, such as a startup monitor, and TeaTimer, which monitors the registry, and prevents unauthorized changes.

Programs, and files, are not interchangable terms.
A program would be like Internet Explorer, Spybot, Photoshop, Windows Media Player, etc.
Programs contain folders, which contain other folders, and individual files.

What Microsoft has to say about using msconfig:
"Warning
Microsoft strongly recommends that you do not use System Configuration Utility to modify the Boot.ini file on your computer without the direction of a Microsoft support professional. Doing so may render your computer unusable."

In fact, microsoft specifically warns not to use any application unchecked in MSCONFIG startup until the entry is rechecked and the computer restarted.
If microsoft actually thought that MSCONFIG were safe to use as a startup manager, it would not be hidden.
There would be an entry in the control panel and in Start/ Programs / Accessories called, "control startup programs here".
They do not hide components because they are mean, or because there is a mysterious conspiracy between geeks, to make it hard on others.
These are hard to get to, and hidden, because they are dangerous, and should only be used by a professional who understands the potential risks, of his
actions.
The best way to manage startup items is within the programs own options/ preferences.
Any well written application will have correct methods of doing this, to correct the entry points, and memory management, as the softwares author intended.
The next best alternative, is a third-party startup manager.
This is my opinion.
I'm sure others will have a different opinion, as this is usually a hotly contested topic.

In regards to system files that have to run at startup, they are not programs, so I assume you are not referring to these types of files when you talk about disabling programs via options....???

Correct.
I'm only talking about unnecessary programs running at startup, that can be started manually, if necessary, such as Word, Quicktime, etc.

#9 ajetrumpet

ajetrumpet

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:34 AM

I understand what you're saying. What I didn't know was that Microsoft posts warnings about trying to run programs that have been disabled manually. I've tried doing this after disabling them in config. and they just don't run. I've shut off a lot of processes so far by interpreting the database descriptions on this site, and I have not had any problems yet. As far as the danger of shutting processes off, yeah I wouldn't recommend that anybody do it, including me, but I can easily recognize a file name as to weather or not it pertains to the OS itself or a separate program within the system. I think if you can manage that, you're almost 100% guaranteed that you won't crash the thing. That's all I'm concerned with anyway....

Edited by ajetrumpet, 10 June 2007 - 12:37 AM.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:08 AM

Where computers are concerned, I don't think there are any, 100% guarantees. :thumbsup:

#11 ajetrumpet

ajetrumpet

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:34 AM

I certainly right about that, but remember that providers like Microsoft (especially them) have been in this game for at least 30 years. I'm pretty sure they don't even have to keep up to date on this stuff anymore. With them, combined with people like you and the people that run this site, I think its pretty easy to get any kind of information you need to manage a computer system. I guess I'm saying that I'm pretty confident the subject, so much so that I don't even think about most changes I make (because I research!) =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users