Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Router Help. Connection Keeps Dropping.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kitana

Kitana

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:35 AM

Okay, so I screwed up my old router by trying to update the firmware. Stupid, but whatever. I bought the same thing, but the newer version, I suppose. It's a BEFSX41 Ver 2.1 Linksys wired router. Connected it, worked fine, great.

Then I noticed that when I'm on AIM, every 20 minutes or so I'll get kicked off, then I'll sign right back on. I thought maybe it was just AOL being stupid, but my mom told me that on her computer she can't stay in Pogo games or whatever other poker games she plays. Those being played in Internet Explorer, not AOL.

It's been a week since I got the router. Still getting kicked off every 20 or so minutes. I've called Linksys twice, talked to their tech support, and both times they've given me something to try. Told me to call back if it doesn't work. First was connect the computer directly to the modem to see if it was my internet provider. Nope, worked fine. Then the other person had me change the MTU to like 1365 or something, and the Link Speed & Duplex to 10Mbps/Half Duplex. That didn't work either. I seriously do not feel like calling them back because it honestly feels like they know less than I do. Plus I cannot understand them.

Anyone have ANYTHING I can try? I'm almost positive its something with the settings. It's almost like the router is resetting the connection. I'm not smart enough on the subject to know exactly what to change though. Help, please!!

Btw I have Windows XP, two desktop computers and a xbox 360 connected to the router, if that helps anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kitana

Kitana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:33 AM

Nobody? I'm in serious need of help. There's gotta be someone who knows something.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:02 PM

Since the network works fine without the router, and there's a history of a problem with the firmware updates - I'd say the router was toast. Have you tried to flash it with the correct firmware? If so, what happens?

The next thing to try is another router to see if it does it with that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users