Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nixx

nixx

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:01 AM

hello,

sorry, im not sure where i should post this but here it goes.
my computer hangs when the files im saving are really big (like 30mb big). it says im low on virtual memory? something like that.
is there something i should replace? hardware or something? it's like i have to open the file first, edit a few things, save it, restart the pc, open the file again, edit and so on just so it wont hang.

thanks much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:23 AM

I remember I use to get this message while playing a computer game on a slow computer. Turned out I didn't have enough ram. Do you know how much ram your computer has? If it has 256mb or less that could be your problem.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:51 AM

Just for interest nixx.

How much room do ypou have left on your C: drive. Start/My Computer/right click on your C: drive and select Properties, will tell you.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:40 AM

Virtual memory is a combination of RAM memory and what is sometimes called the "page file" or space on your computer that the operating system borrows to temporarily store files instead of using RAM. If you do not have sufficient RAM or have lowered the amount of disk space allocated to the page file, you may get this warning. Please reply with the amount of RAM and free disk space as requested by the other Members, as well as the virtual memory allocation:
Start/MyComputer/System Properties/Advanced. In the Performance pane: Settings/Options/Advanced.
Regards,
John

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 03 June 2007 - 09:45 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:47 AM

Generally this is a symptom of a pagefile that's too small, or a hard drive that's too full.

If you've got custom pagefile sizes - revert back to the Windows default (Windows managing it).
Run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter to help out.
Ensure that you've got at least 15% free space on the drive (more is advisable since you're working with large files).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:19 AM

hey again.

well it says i still have 13.7gb of free space, 512mb of RAM and "total paging size for all drives" is at 768mb. is that bad?

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:43 AM

512 and 768 is about right - virtual is usually about 1.5 times the physical memory.

There's no question that more memory would help.

What you might do is go to Start -> Run and type in:

msinfo32

. . . and hit enter. Wait for it to paint, then scroll down to see how much phyisical memory is actually being used. Normally, with no programs running, you should see about 200mb free. (I find when I upgrade a computer with XP from 256 to 512 that they use more than the original 256 when they have more to work with.) If for some reason you don't have that much free then you need to find out what's using all the memory.

In addition, some computers use part of the physical memory for video RAM.

Here is Microsoft's take on it, plus instructions to boost your virtual memory. (Remember this will use up some hard drive space.)

#8 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:42 PM

I have encountered the same problem on my PC, with 512mb as well. It usually happens when I run FEAR and Norton AntiVirus. Norton takes up a whopping 100mb usually, and FEAR eats up what's left. I think you might fix your problem by going into processes and find the process in question, and give it a lower priority.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#9 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:06 PM

it says i have 166.19mb of available physical memory and 1.96gb of available virtual memory. i guess that's okay right? so maybe i just need to have more memory. well thanks for all the replies :D

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:31 PM

If you go to My Computer and move your pointer over your hdd it will highlight and show you the capacity and free space of the hdd. Is these where you see that you only have 13GB of free space, and how large it the drive?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:33 PM

yeah, thats right. my hdd is only 40gb haha

#12 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:02 AM

More physical memory always helps as this is where the fastest action takes place. Having not much free physical memory therefore is not a bad thing. It is said that, unused RAM is wasted RAM, so the more that is being used the faster your machine will be working. Work will slow down slightly when your CPU has to access the paging file on your HardDrive.

If you put in the maximum amount of physical RAM that your motherboard can handle, then your machine will be working as fast as it can.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#13 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:57 PM

On that note about HDD paging files, I wanted to quote up the Complete Guide to Upgrading and Repairing PC's 2006 edition, which put RAM very simply in this metaphor. "You go to a restaurant one night and order a hot dog. It takes the waiter exactly 60 nanoseconds to get the hot dog ready and bring it to your table (this is your hard drive). You do this every night, night after night. The waiter becomes confident that he knows what you will order, and has it ready for you in a tray next to your table (this is your L1 Cache). It takes him 5 nanoseconds to bring it to you from the tray. One night you surprise him, and he is not prepared for you to order something different. He then decides to set up a second, larger tray along with the first one (your L2 Cache). It takes him 10 nanoseconds to get food from this tray. Each night, you begin to order something different, and the waiter has run out of space for food on the first and second tray. He then sets up a massive tray that carries hundreds of times more food than the two other trays (this is your RAM!). It takes him 15 nanoseconds to get food from this tray." Hope this helps with everyone's view on L1, L2 and RAM.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users