Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Check Agp Aperature Setting?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pat666

pat666

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:23 AM

Hi all,

I am having a problem getting World of Warcraft to work on my pc. I have tried two different video cards, the first a DiabloTek GeForce FX5500 and the second (current) a 3DFuzion GeForce FX5500. Both are AGP 4X cards with 256mb memory. Both cards are supported (supposedly) by the game. Blizzard tech support has basically given up trying to help and left me on my own which brings me to my question. The error message I get when the game crashes tells me to check my AGP aperature setting. I used Everest to generate a report and it tells me that my AGP aperature size is 64mb. I can't change the aperature setting though the bios. Is there any other way to tinker with it and if so, will it do any good?

My pc is:

Compaq Presario (about 6-7 years old)
OS - Windows XP Home Edition (with sp2 and all updates)
Processor - AMD Athlon XP, 1.4g
Memory - 1024mb
Video card - 3DFuzion GeForce FX5500, 256mb ram, AGP4X
Video driver - Nvidia v93.71 (I've tried several different versions hoping that one might be more stable for this card).

I know the video card is working okay. I put a thermometer to the heat sink to check for overheating in game - temp was approx 61c. I also used 3dMark03 to benchmark it - passed all tests without a problem. This aperature setting business is the only thing I can think of short of buying a new pc to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

I am finding that ideally the aperture should be set around 128 mb. The apertures can be set from BIOS, but your computer may be too old. There is a method to change from within Windows, but it's complicated and can no doubt break things. And it only seems to work with VIA hardware. What's worse, I'm finding the files and patch all but gone.

Perhaps if you search around, you can find out more about WPCREDIT, and the other files necessary - I was able to find a download for them, but have no idea whether they'd work for you, or if there is a different set of instructions for each chipset.

This may give you some ideas.

Here's WPCREDIT.

#3 pat666

pat666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:11 PM

Thanks Herk. I'm going to look into this. I don't know if I'll end up trying it though. I know enough about pc's to be dangerous, but unless I can find something that will assure me that I can do it safely, this might be a little deeper than I'm comfortable with.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:11 PM

http://www.h-oda.com/
http://www.geocities.com/enigmadeadsouls/softfsb.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users