Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cheap Refrigerated System?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:03 PM

Hey, guys. I wanna go for a low-budget high-performance... thing. Well, a casual gaming rig, but on a budget. I also want it refrigerated just for bragging rites, but i need this refrigeration system all for under $150. I have looked into water cooling. I have found a good water cooling solution that is well-rated here on NewEgg for $60 minus shipping. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835103017
So, there I have $90 left for refrigeration but I am left with a few questions. My plan was to expand this system to cool my HDDs, my CPU (Pentium D 935), and a mid-end video card possibly SLI. This creates a lot of tubes, a lot of potential leaks, and maybe a problem for the pump. Can it handle this much water movement? What part of the cooler should I refrigerate? How should I refrigerate it? Before posting, please calculate the expenses and if you get any ideas, I would be very happy to hear them!! :) BTW WHAT IS THE TUBE SIZE ON THIS THING?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum due to content and OP request. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 05 June 2007 - 12:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:13 PM

Do you want a "Reefer" unit or water cooling. Reefer units are like AC in your car.

Posted Image

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:30 PM

I want water cooling with a refrigerated reservoir and radiator (learned thsoe two terms in the last 15 minutes) so its essentially a refrigerated chassis but with a mini fridge next to it.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 02 June 2007 - 10:46 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:56 AM

...a refrigerated chassis but with a mini fridge next to it.

Which can keep the beer cold!

I'm in - let's get two of them!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:25 PM

The idea behind this is that refrigerated chassis are all old models and very expensive, reaching around $600. The refrigerated chassis circulate freon (or whatever fridges use) and I'm duplicating the same idea with antifreeze... stuff. I put together my own water cooler with all the water blocks and heatsinks I need. It costs $220 so I'm gonna get a pre-assembled kit. I'm now realizing that something for $150 is gonna be pretty unrealistic. Still open to suggestions for a water system under $100. Anyone got a mini-fridge or any water blocks they're giving away? I'll pay shipping! And if anyone can find any water blocks (HDD, VGA, CPU) for under $20 (but make sure they ARE solid metal, not acrylic) please notify me.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 03 June 2007 - 04:53 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:15 PM

Does anyone out there agree that a water cooling system with refrigerated fluids would be much cheaper than a refrigerated chassis? Still looking for any part of this system you can find under $20.
CAN I MOVE THIS TO HARDWARE, NOT MUCH RESPONSE HERE

Edited by Ryan 3000, 04 June 2007 - 09:42 PM.

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:00 PM

A true "reefer" case (google Thermo King Reefer for the expanded explanation, its too long and complex to go in depth here) is very expensive and will have to be built exclusively from scratch so you would look at something like $300 in parts alone. using water coolers is by far the most reasonable way to go if air cooling is not a viable option. adding substances like "Water Wetter" (available at your local Advance Auto) make most systems leak prone. Adding Antifreeze is really unnecessary as the water will only reach room temperature and has the ability to clog your pumps.

Posted Image

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:30 AM

Adding refrigerant (a gas) to a water-cooled system (liquid) doesn't make sense. Connections would have to be silver soldered. Heat transfer would be non-existent without compression to liquefy the gas for heat transfer
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:43 AM

Buy a mini-fridge. Stick computer in it.

Heh in all seriousness, how would it work to have a small computer with a regular air heatsink in a minifridge? You don't have to answer if you don't feel like, don't want to hijack the topic.

Posted Image

#10 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

Well my idea is that refrigerated water wicks away heat much more rapidly than cold air. Ur idea would work better for anyone with a liquid cooling kit, but think about the hell that wiring would be?
OK found what I wanted to say on google: Air has an average density of 1.292 kilograms per cubic meter at room temperature. Water has a density of 1000 kilograms per cubic meter at 4C, I couldn't find them compared at the same temperature, but you can see the huge difference between air cooling and liquid cooling there.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 05 June 2007 - 12:22 PM.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:19 PM

Beginers guide to water cooling From Tomshardware.com Read this article it will answer most of your questions as to the best and safest way to water cool.

extreme overclocking Where money is no object.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 05 June 2007 - 04:21 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:25 AM

The issue (to me) is will a small fridge have enough cooling power to cool off the water consistently? If so, then just putting a radiator with a fan inside the fridge should be enough to cool it down.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:33 PM

I have seen, all thought it has been a while, a CPU water cooler that uses automotive antifreeze and an office refrigerator to chill a processor. They wrapped " copper pipe around the freezer unit in the frig and connected to the CPU cooler. They allow the door to stay open a day or so so ice would build up on the freezer coils and make the heat transfer more efficient.
They used red automotive antifreeze (If that makes a difference).
I'll keep looking for the article, but it has been at least 4 yrs since I have scene it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:52 PM

They used red automotive antifreeze (If that makes a difference).

Red has a high silicone count in it compared to green. Red is also $10 a gallon vs green at $1.5. Red is supposed to last longer but has a tendency to gel. purple, orange, and yellow are the in between colors from high silicone count to low. red and orange were the original "Extended Life" coolants so both have said gelling issue. Purple is a newer form of "Extended Life" coolant and is believed to have fixed the issue. Yellow is the jack of all trades (mixes with all forms of coolant) and is the most commonly available.

BTW: there is no such thing as "Extended Life" coolant. It all works until it leaks out. Green will last as long as any other type mentioned.

Posted Image

#15 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:03 PM

Does anyone know one of the best non-gel non-gunk non-conductive long-life liquids for this? Anyone with experience in this, does it matter if I have some air left in the top of my reservoir?

Edited by Ryan 3000, 06 June 2007 - 06:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users