Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost My Installer Files - Urgent Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:52 PM

At first I had a couple of small problems (or what I thought were small). Now I have a huge one. I still have no clue what caused the first problem, which was that my search and help option was not responding to my clicks. The second problem was that I was getting an error message when I tried to install Knights of the Nine on my PC. Well, I posted for help and it turns out that it was apparently a windows installer error message, but I don't think anything was necessarily wrong with my files, except perhaps not updated. Any way I did this fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886630/en-us which went fine the first time. The first time I did it my pc recreated the files on restart and worked great. The second time however, in Safe Mode, it did not. Now, I have no Installer files. So fine, I will just run the system restore point I just made right? Nope...it turns out that this function is also another unresponsive function...............I've ran all the virus and spyware/rootkit tools I could and been to the other forum sections already about the unresponsive options.

If you need to know more "I just click on the buttons and nothing happens". In this case, I get to the point where it says "to restore to this date and time click next"... when I click next nothing happens.

Now I'm really worried because I can't run many programs w/out installers. I've become so frustrated with everything that's happened since the spylocked virus (which I have removed already -thouroughly) that I have thought seriously about just reinstalling winxp. But then, I don't know if I will have to go through that whole registering my windows with microsoft again. Besides, now I'm not even sure that would work w/out installer files. Anyway Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp.

reference:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry535724

O.k. I just found pc mighty max which I am hoping will replace those dll files in sys32. However, that still doesn't help at all with the original problem of why my search/help and now system restore won't work. Which I can now see really needs to be posted here. Thanks for any and all help. Sincerily. GoodFortitude.

Oh, duh.....mighty max uses windows install shield also. It seems to get started just fine but all it manages to install is WINDOWS/Downloaded installations/pcmightymax v9.msi and then quits... :thumbsup:

Geez, this really sucks. If I get help on this one I swear I'll never rename a crucial file again. I'm sorry....I'm sorrrrry...............

Edited by GoodFortitude, 02 June 2007 - 09:26 PM.

A man isn't measured by how many men he can bring down but, rather, by how many he brings up.

Change your circumstances; change your mind.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:28 PM

Just to let everyone know, I am currently trying this link. http://www.a-softtech.com/Free/MSI/WindowsInstaller.html The last one I tried flopped so hopefully this one will work as far as getting the files back.

Oh nice......I got the one for winxp from this link. But, it just gives the message wrong os or os version for application!!!!! :thumbsup: :/ :\

Edited by GoodFortitude, 02 June 2007 - 11:09 PM.

A man isn't measured by how many men he can bring down but, rather, by how many he brings up.

#3 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:06 PM

Problem resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users