Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Time Here, So Bear With Me

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kansasblonde

kansasblonde

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:18 PM

Hi there,
I'm about to scream & pull my blonde hair out by the brown roots! I have a Compaq computer and just purchased a 22" flat screen monitor. Ever since I installed it, when the computer goes into 'hibernation', I cannot wake it up. I move the mouse. Nothing. I hit keys on the keyboard. Nothing. One time, my monitor showed for a split second "No Signal"...but that was only one time. I try hitting alt/control/delete ...nothing happens. I end up reaching over and shutting my computer off. I have no idea what to do next....what the problem is...nadda. All I know is that I'm very frustrated at this point. :flowers:
Any help & suggestions are greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:
Thank you so much
Sher

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:09 PM

Hmm, if I had to guess, the resolution that is set on your computer for the old monitor is too high for the new one. The flat screens come with a native resolution and the display setting is probably too high. So, to play it safe, boot up your computer in safe mode (press F8 key repeatedly until you come to the boot-up options screen) and change your resolution setting there. You should be able to determine the max resolution allowable by the new monitor.

Also, update to the latest drivers for the monitor.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:06 PM

It's a cause for debate, but I've been told Hibernation was really for laptops. It has been known to cause some problems on desktops. Take it for what it's worth
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

Yes, I agree -

you should make sure you are running the current drivers for both the monitor and the video card.

If I'm reading your problem correctly, hibernation worked properly before you got the new monitor.

Edited by JohnWho, 02 June 2007 - 08:17 PM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:21 PM

Mark...hibernation has nothing to do with laptops, it's just another part of the OS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 KIDRoach

KIDRoach

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:59 PM

Try pressing the power button? Sometimes I accidentally press the sleep button on the keyboard, then the screen goes like "Preparing for hibernation" I was like huh? hih? hoh? O.o

But to turn it on, I push the power button again, once only, and do not hold it for long. If you hold it, I think it'll power off the system. But, sometimes, even when I push the power button, it won't turn back on... :thumbsup:
If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:43 AM

I've never even tried to wake from hibernation by a mouse movement or a key press. That's reserved for Standby where there's still some power to the system (Hibernation actually shuts the system off). I simply push the Power button when I want to resume from Hibernation.

I'd suggest a trip into your BIOS to see if there's options there to wake the system from Sleep/Suspend/Power State by using the mouse or keyboard.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

Mark...hibernation has nothing to do with laptops, it's just another part of the OS.

Like I said "take it for what it's worth". I'd link to several that disagree, but I don't use it and really don't care and don't want to debate the issue
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#9 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:46 PM

You may have some hang-ups when waking up. My computer starts from hibernation fine, but it actually takes ten minutes to shut down due to what I would assume is a registry error. I think you might have the same problem with your hibernation. My solution, just once see if the think will start from hibernation if you give it an hour or so.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:56 PM

Most errors with Standby and Hibernation are fixed by updating the video drivers to the latest WHQL certified version available from the video chipset manufacturer.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 kansasblonde

kansasblonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:39 PM

Try pressing the power button? Sometimes I accidentally press the sleep button on the keyboard, then the screen goes like "Preparing for hibernation" I was like huh? hih? hoh? O.o

But to turn it on, I push the power button again, once only, and do not hold it for long. If you hold it, I think it'll power off the system. But, sometimes, even when I push the power button, it won't turn back on... :thumbsup:

That's the thing. I have to reach over and manually shut it off, as it won't respond to keyboard or mouse activity. Actually, instead of hibernation, I think it is 'standby' that it won't wake up from :flowers:
Thanks so much
s

#12 kansasblonde

kansasblonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

I've never even tried to wake from hibernation by a mouse movement or a key press. That's reserved for Standby where there's still some power to the system (Hibernation actually shuts the system off). I simply push the Power button when I want to resume from Hibernation.

I'd suggest a trip into your BIOS to see if there's options there to wake the system from Sleep/Suspend/Power State by using the mouse or keyboard.

yeah, I goofed. It is standby that it doesn't 'wake up'. sorry for my blunder :thumbsup:

#13 kansasblonde

kansasblonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:45 PM

Hmm, if I had to guess, the resolution that is set on your computer for the old monitor is too high for the new one. The flat screens come with a native resolution and the display setting is probably too high. So, to play it safe, boot up your computer in safe mode (press F8 key repeatedly until you come to the boot-up options screen) and change your resolution setting there. You should be able to determine the max resolution allowable by the new monitor.

When I installed the new monitor, the instructions said it had to be very high numbers on resolution (I know, I'm not using the right wording here :thumbsup: When I went to control panel, display setting, etc. I put in the resolution suggested in the instructions. When I look at that setting area, I see that it is on the highest possible for the computer. I'm irritated, as I hate spending that money for a big monitor and not being able to use it. When I start up my computer, it's fine and works just dandy. When I get done with what I'm doing, my fish screensaver comes on and runs. The next thing I know, I come back later and the screen is black. I try moving the mouse or hitting keys and nothing happens. That's when I have to push the button and turn it off :flowers:
As far as drivers, how do I make sure they are up to date? I am pretty much computer illiterate, so thank you all SO MUCH for bearing with me here.
Sher

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:04 PM

When I installed the new monitor, the instructions said it had to be very high numbers on resolution (I know, I'm not using the right wording here :thumbsup: When I went to control panel, display setting, etc. I put in the resolution suggested in the instructions. When I look at that setting area, I see that it is on the highest possible for the computer. I'm irritated, as I hate spending that money for a big monitor and not being able to use it. When I start up my computer, it's fine and works just dandy. When I get done with what I'm doing, my fish screensaver comes on and runs. The next thing I know, I come back later and the screen is black. I try moving the mouse or hitting keys and nothing happens. That's when I have to push the button and turn it off :flowers:
As far as drivers, how do I make sure they are up to date? I am pretty much computer illiterate, so thank you all SO MUCH for bearing with me here.
Sher

That's the recommended resolution, you can use less, I do. By the way, what is the make of the monitor?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:07 AM

Visit the website of the monitor manufacturer and the manufacturer of the chipset of your video card (usually Intel, nVidia, ATI, or SiS). Locate the downloads or support section. After browsing around for a while, you'll be able to locate drivers for both of these devices. Download and install them, then test to see if this has fixed the issue. Please let us know the results of your testing.

EDIT: Let us know the exact make and model of your Monitor, and the exact make and model of your video card and we can point you to the correct drivers. If you don't know about the video card, let us know the exact make and model of your computer.

Edited by usasma, 08 June 2007 - 06:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users