Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think i have been had by a virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hollyw

hollyw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:27 AM

Good morning I am not sure if this is the right spot at all but i figured it wouldnt hurt to try. I am running windows xp home on a dial up connection. It is a newer interceleron computer. I was online yesterday and went to the bathroom and when i got back my computer was restarting itself. and now i have nothing. The only thing I can get to is the bios by hiting the delete key and since i know nothing abou what is in there .. i dont want to mess with it.
Am i right in assuming that my computer is pretty much toast? and is there anything i can do? I have an xp disc and wouldnt mind just starting over and wiping eveyrthing out . if it means having my computer back .. but dont k nwo how to go about starting that either. I cant get it to recognize that there is a disc in the drive i keep getting the error message: disc read error press cen/alt delete to restart.
I know this is sketchy but didnt know what else you needed to know . If anyone has an idea i really cant afford to lose this computer. I guess what i am asking is there a way i can reformatt it just to get it back ? thanks a bunch in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:41 AM

Do you have an antivirus?

Can you boot into safe mode, and run your antivirus?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 hollyw

hollyw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:54 AM

I am going to go try that right now. thank you )i dont think i can as i tried last night and the f8 thing didnt seem to work and i was running a pc-cillin program. thanks for your help:)

#4 .ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 07:11 PM

I am going to go try that right now. thank you )i dont think i can as i tried last night and the f8 thing didnt seem to work and i was running a pc-cillin program. thanks for your help:)

right luv, hope you get your comp back, and its most definetely not Toast :thumbsup: i think thats near impossible.....well actually i think maybe its possible to lose your HDD...hmm

aaaanyway, for some motherboards, you have to press F8 JUST at the right time. i never thought safe mode was even possible on my mobo, but it was.

you press it JUST before the "loading windows XP" screen comes on, you know, the one with the slidy bar.

it will give you loads of options, just use safe mode, it will be simpler and crappier than your normal setup, but if it works it will be great. use your AV program, or get a free one off the net (AVG is good),
I really shouldnt only come here when I need help should I..... :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users