Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crashes And Freezes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rob h

Rob h

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:56 PM

Recently I have been getting system freezes and random crashes, no logical answers, it does not correspond with opening or running any particular program. Following is part of the message on the latest BSOD:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
0x000000D1 (0x8FFF8FE5, 0x00000012, 0x00000000, 0xB7D6BFCD)
usbuhci.sys - Address B7D6BFCD base at BD768000, Datestamp 41107d62

item in bold could be 0x8FFF8F65, cant read my own writing.

I did not want to go straight for the hijack this logfile route but if this is the way to go I will. Any help wil be gratefully received, my daughter is doing her GCSEs at the moment and the crashes have already lost her some work, not too much as I have drummed it in to her about constant saving but it is getting to be a bit of a nightmare.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:00 AM

Could you look in the Event Viewer and list the last 4 error messages? Also Microsoft has a known issue with the usbuhci.sys. file, with XP sp 1. When we know what the error messages are in the Event Viewer we will have a better idea as to the problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:23 AM

I suspect that Acklan's got the correct solution - but here's another in the unlikely event that that doesn't work:

From this link:
http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0xd1

Any power surges/outages recently? Even with a surge protector hardware can get damaged. If so, try checking your RAM with this free utility: http://www.memtest86.com/

And, try recreating your pagefile: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic71367.html#

FYI - the 2 ways that I've seen power surges do damage with a surge suppressor are:
1) Surge through the LAN connection (which isn't on the surge suppressor). I lost numerous pieces of hardware to this
2) 2 surges close together - the first one knocks out the surge suppressor and the second one fries the hardware.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Rob h

Rob h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:30 PM

Sorry I should have given a bit more detail, I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday. Here is part of a Belarc Advisor profile so you can see what you are dealing with:

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) eveshamvale
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.55 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7V266-E REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V266-E ACPI BIOS Rev 1006 01/21/2002
Drives Memory Modules c,d
220.07 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
69.11 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SONY DVD RW AW-G170A [CD-ROM drive]
VOBID InstantDrive CD SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Generic USB CF Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
Generic USB MS Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 6
Generic USB SD Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
Generic USB SM Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 5
ST3120022A [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 2
WDC WD400EB-00CPF0 [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WMAATE851671, rev 06.04G06, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD600BB-00DKA0 [Hard drive] (60.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAHL1383485, rev 77.07W77, SMART Status: Healthy
1280 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM 1' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM 2' has 512 MB
Slot 'DIMM 3' has 512 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 60.02 GB 33.48 GB free
e: (NTFS on drive 2) 120.03 GB 34.72 GB free
f: (NTFS on drive 1) 40.02 GB 907 MB free

Network Drives

And here are the event viewer error messages:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x100000d1 (0x8fff8fe5, 0x00000012, 0x00000000, 0xb7d6bfcd). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060207-01.dmp.

The USB SECURITY DEVICE service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

The server's configuration parameter "irpstacksize" is too small for the server to use a local device. Please increase the value of this parameter.

The server {F3A614DC-ABE0-11D2-A441-00C04F795683} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Would it help to see the dump file? If so how do I access it and add it here?

#5 DPCS

DPCS

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:35 PM

Update your modem drivers

#6 Rob h

Rob h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:48 PM

Do I have a modem? I dont use one, my internet connection is via a usb adaptor.

#7 Rob h

Rob h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:41 AM

I am now having to log in from my works pc as mine has crashed again and now windows will not start, I get an error message every time, i have not got the exact message in front of me right now but i know it starts with 0x0000008E.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:59 AM

Microsoft describes that error message as a possible problem with your RAM. Try running Mem86 testing Utility overnight.

"STOP 0x0000008e" error message during Windows XP setup

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:10 AM

Do I have a modem? I dont use one, my internet connection is via a usb adaptor.

The modem is not like a dialup modem. It is not inside your computer. In general a broadband modem is the device that connect to your telephone line or your cable coax. In the picture below the black box on top is my cable modem, the small blue box on the left is my router, and the switch has all of the wires coming from it going to different computer.
I think what he was referring to was look for a Firmware update for the modem.

Posted Image

#10 Rob h

Rob h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:18 AM

My internet connection comes directly from my Virgin Media set top box, which apparently is automatically updated via the cable system and I have no control over it. I have tested all of my RAM. I have a second hard drive which i used Norton Ghost to clone, I can boot to this by changing the bios but there is a problem that I cant run the internet, email etc and it wont recognise my dvd drive for burning. Fortunately it does allow me to copy all of my files from the main hard drive to a third drive I have fitted. If I change the second drive to the only drive it fails to boot properly and hangs at the start up page. I am going to put a fresh install of windows on a new hard drive and see if everything is ok, then try to install things a bit at a time to see if I can isolate the problems.

#11 Rob h

Rob h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for all the help. A new install was the only way I could sort things out, it took some time though as I had to work away from home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users