Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back Up Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GoTwins

GoTwins

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:39 PM

Ok. I've been wondering this for a while:

I'm starting to run out of space on my notebook which is a Dell Inspiron E1505. It has a 100gb hard drive and it also has a "back up" hard drive. I think the back up was meant to use with Norton Ghost or some kind of program that makes restore points or whatever. Problem is that Norton Ghost expired a long ways back, so I uninstalled it. So now I really have no use for my back up hard drive, besides making windows restore points.

So the question is it possible to use that back up drive for storing other things, like music/movies/large programs? It's been sitting idle for months, without filling up at all...

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:43 PM

Do you actually have two hard drives, or is it a recovery partition on one hard drive? Or maybe the hard drive is an external?

Posted Image

#3 GoTwins

GoTwins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:46 PM

Well, maybe I'm a computer noob, but I'm pretty sure its 2 hard drives. The second back up one is considerably smaller, but it's still seperate, not a recovery partition.

Like theres a C drive and a D drive...don't know if that helps :\

#4 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:54 PM

Ah yes, it's gotta be a recovery partition. I really don't think your laptop can even fit two hard drives in it. Anyway, I would go to start > control panel > administrative tools > computer management and then click on device manager. Expand the little disk drives tab and post what you've got there. It'll probably be the name of your hard drive, and then it'll have any usb/firewire devices that you have connected right now.

If it is just a recovery partition, and you really don't want to keep it (usually they can restore your computer to default factory settings) you could use partition logic to combine or erase the partition.

Posted Image

#5 GoTwins

GoTwins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:09 PM

It says "Fujitsu MHV2100BH." Which I assume means I have only one drive...

I have the whole "dual core" thing with my laptop, so I assumed that I had 2 HD or something.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:04 PM

Can you see the other partition in Explorer? If so, are there any files on it?

I never could figure out why so many laptops use a second partition that is basically the same size as the C: partition.

#7 GoTwins

GoTwins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:20 PM

Yes, I can see it in explorer, it's maximum size is 21.5 gb though, compared to my 66.6 gb C: drive.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:54 PM

Are there any files on it? Is some of it used? I'm wondering if there are any things necessary for the system to be restored - if it's empty, there should be no reason you can't use it for storage.

#9 GoTwins

GoTwins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

Well, I don't know if it's possible to make it one drive, I'm sure I can, but I mainly use it for "backing up" my computer with Nero backitup.

Do you guys recommend making that back up drive one drive , in other words combine the C: and D: drives? Or should I leave it the way it is...

There really isn't a difference is there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users