Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanning This Computer For Spyware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 soluod

soluod

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:00 PM

:huh:

I have no idea how to use the file SpywareBlaster to scan for spyware. :huh:

Can someone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Russsl

Russsl

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:54 PM

Is SpywareBlaster your only malware program?

#3 Russsl

Russsl

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:21 PM

Excuse me. I was a little too quick on the button.

From what I know, SpywareBlaster is supposed to run in the background when your computer is running so it dosen't have an on demand scan capability.

Is this your only malware program? The reason for asking is I run AdAware, SpyBot S&D and Windows Defender.

Ad Aware (freeware version) is pretty much an on demand program and plays nicely with all versions of Windows. I started using AdAware when I was running Windows 95. SpyBot S&D (freeware) also runs in the background preventing prelisted malware from being loaded just like SpywareBlaster. It too plays nicely with all versions of Windows and it also has an on demand feature that will scan when you want it to. Windows Defender apparently runs the same way as SpyBot, but I'm not so sure since I have just started using it and it hasn't found anything before the other two.

The reason for my question is both SpyBot and AdAware have both individually caught spyware/malware while the other did not. Case in point was a key logger I picked up last year. SpyBot found it, but AdAware missed. Again, AdAware picked up some sort of advertising switcher that SpyBot missed recently.

Hope this helps!

#4 Jazzgirl

Jazzgirl

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:40 PM

Spywareblaster just sets bits in your registry to prevent malware from being written to your system. You don't have to load it at all. You need to periodically check for updates and make sure you enable those updates for your system.

JG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users