Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Top Choice For Antivirus + Firewall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scarface90

Scarface90

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:13 AM

Well recently i seemd quite happy as i got Bitdefender v10! apparently the BEST antivirus programme available, according to this:

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

But only yesterday did my computer get infected quite heavily with trojans and malware, more info on that here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/94280/hijackthis-log-please-help-diagnose/

As you can see good old Richie managed to help me cleanse my system which i appreciate very greatly. Anyways this whole dilemma has made me question my antivirus, is it really that good if my system got infected with no less than 6 trojans? how could this fantastic firewall + antivirus (apparently) let that happen?

I've been doing a lot of research since my subscription with Bitdefender is coming to an end, ive seen a lot of admins on this site recommend you run a scan with AVG, therefore im guessing AVG is better than Bitdefender? and in other posts i have heard Avast tops AVG, so maybe Avast is best?.

I am no stranger to security suites, altogether i have had:

- Norton Internet Security 2006
- Zone Alarm Security Suite
- NOD32
- AVG [free + upgraded edition]
- BitDefender

I disliked Norton as it slowed my pc down greatly and ive heard strange rumours that they create their own viruses to make their product look better??

I thought Zone Alarm was pretty good, the firewall is apparently among the best? but its antivirus doesn't have a repation like its firewall unfortunately so i thought i had better change.

NOD32, it was ok i guess, but the interface wasn't straight forward - poor reasoing of course but hey i like it nice and simple :thumbsup:

AVG, both editions, i thought were very good but it lacked a firewall and i don't really want to stand alone applications for a firewall and antivirus i would much rather control both from one window, other than that i thought it was good.

BitDefender, i brought it because of that internet site's rating and i have heard it is a good quality antivirus but as i said my recent attack as left me speechless and my confidence in my product has fallen sharply and seeking advice..

So that brings me back to my post, what would you recommend?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ItWouldRuin

ItWouldRuin

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:22 AM

I think that BitDefender 10 is the greatest antivirus.
And then NOD32 is good.
Don't buy Norton Antivirus 2006, you'll just get viruses.
But Norton 2007 is good.

#3 Scarface90

Scarface90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:06 AM

hmm ill stick with BitDefender then :thumbsup:

im running Counterspy v2 with Bitdefender as i found out that Counterspy found a trojan which Bitdefender didnt. Trojan Qhost or something like that was detected as being "high risk" by counterspy so i decided to keep them both running on very aggresive mode (just until the aftermath of my previous virus attack has passed)

#4 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:35 AM

Hey Scarface90,
As I've read so many times here, no one product can keep your computer safe from everything. :thumbsup:
In addition to an antivirus, having anti-trojan & anti-spyware programs will help keep you better protected.
Have a look here, Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps, under Trojan Removal & Spyware Removal.

Keep in mind that it is a good idea to run only one of each type of protection program in resident mode. (This means only one firewall, one antivirus, one antispyware.) If two or more of them are run in resident mode it may decrease the protection on your computer rather than increase it and it may cause other computer problems like slow performance.

:flowers: Tink

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#5 The Gorilla

The Gorilla

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:47 AM

The other thing to bear in mind that no anti virus is 100% foolproof. stick with a reputable company and use a layer approach like Tink has mentioned and you should be fairly safe.

#6 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:46 PM

CounterSpy v2 is a good choice of AntiSpyware
ZoneAlarm is a good firewall (their AV has been updated to Kaspersky engine)
and BitDefender is a good firewall as well as Norton 2007 and Kaspersky
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:56 AM

Keeping your computer clean not only depends on having good security software, it also depends on how you use your computer. The following link has some good information.

BEST PRACTICES: PC World's Avoid viruses & Scams

I am currently using AVG antivirus and Comodo firewall and I am very happy with both.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users