Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Flash Cards

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 timi

timi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:50 AM

Hi there.
Like to first off apologise if this is the wrong place to post this topic, but put it down to been new here and the fact that at this point I'm tearing my hair out!!!...
Just recently bought a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4427, which runs Vista Premium, and in the main I'm pretty pleased with it.
No major problems...at least none that don't resolve themselves eventually.
This was however not until I noticed that my Toshiba Flash Card, which host the hot keys and some computer functions and which should drop down only when you point your cursor at the top of the screen, developed a mind all of its own and from time to time decided to make an unsolicited apperance and drop down without been prompted!
As it usually happens when I have just finished clicking on something or touched my mouse, I thought it might have something to do with the external optical mouse I was using so off I went to buy another one but of course the darn thing still does the same thing with the new mouse.
I have found a way to disable the flash cards, but I would rather be able to make use of them rather than turning the fuction off completely because of the annoying 'drop down'.
Someone mentioned to me that it may be a conflict between a program I've installed since getting the computer and the flash card program, but as itunes is the only major add-on I have installed, I wonder!?!...
Could this be another classic case of vista gone bad, or is there something else?
Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
please help..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:04 AM

Can you reinstall the Toshiba Flash Card utility? That may be the quickest way to set it right.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 timi

timi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:42 AM

Can you reinstall the Toshiba Flash Card utility? That may be the quickest way to set it right.

Thanks for responding. Will try it right away. Thanks Again

Edited by timi, 09 June 2007 - 04:44 AM.

#4 rob.irish

rob.irish

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:34 AM

timi - you said "I have found a way to disable the flash cards, but I would rather be able to make use of them rather than turning the fuction off completely because of the annoying 'drop down'. "

I am having the same problems with my flash cards. How did you disable them? I'm not interested in using them.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:11 PM

Either uninstall the Toshiba Flash Card utility, or disable it in the startups.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 timi

timi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:46 AM

timi - you said "I have found a way to disable the flash cards, but I would rather be able to make use of them rather than turning the fuction off completely because of the annoying 'drop down'. "

I am having the same problems with my flash cards. How did you disable them? I'm not interested in using them.

Go to your start-up programs, click on TOSHIBA, click on UTILITIES, and then SETTING FOR FLASH CARDS. You will be able to disable or enable your flash cards from there. But a word of warning- once you disable the flash cards, your keyboards Fn hotkeys wont work which is a bit of an inconvenience, at least so I found!
But an update to the problem on my computer, it has stopped doing it!
Honestly can't tell you of anything special that I have done, but for the last week or so, having disabled and then enabled the flash cards again, the 'drop-downs' have stopped.
Rather strange, but there it is.
A couple of Windows updates have come in sine then, but as they were in the main security related, I am still a little perplexed...
Did however start monitoring the performance and reliabilty of the computer at the height of the problem.
Noticed that as the reliabilty index climbed, so did the general overall stability of the computer. Could this have had a knock on effect on the inner workings of the Flash cards I wonder?
From an index figure of under 5 to it's present near all-time high of about 8.5 (out of the box it's a perfect 10), the computer seems to be back on an even keel (touch wood!)
I suggest that anyone with a similar problem make sure that any relevant Windows updates are installed, that they 'chill-out' on stressing their computers (no software installs and the like, just day to day general use for at least a while), and that they allow the system to stabilise generally.
That's all I've done, and well as I said the computer is good again.
As I originally mentioned concerning this paticular model, it somehow finds a way to get back on its feet pretty much every time.
Try all that you can as I did, but if all else fails just give it time.
You never know, sounds daft but that might be all it needs...
Hope that helps...

#7 cbruce

cbruce

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

First day here and I have found how to disable the Hot Cards which is exactly what I was searching for!

Mine kept showing up on their own -- and actually seem to cause issues when I was using the Go To Meeting program for conference calls/webinars (which is essential to my business)

Great forum so glad I found it. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users