Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Has No Icons Or Start Menu. Some Kind Of Bug...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phi292

Phi292

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:30 AM

I was surfin the net and my dad had recently downloaded mcafee on all the computers in the house. Out of nowhere mcafee starts goin ape and blocking a bunch of
"trojan" and "virus" attempts to get into my computer. than the screen blinked a few times and now every time i reboot in safe mode or not, my start menu and icons all disapear and i am looking at a picture of my desktop. please help = ( i have important paramedic info on my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:25 AM

Do you happen to have a antivirus software? If so, please update your antivirus software and do a scan of your PC in safe mode.

I also recommend you to do a online scan.

Please go HERE to run Panda's ActiveScan
  • Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button
  • A new window will open...click the Check Now button
  • Enter your Country
  • Enter your State/Province
  • Enter your e-mail address and click send
  • Select either Home User or Company
  • Click the big Scan Now button
  • If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
  • It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
  • When download is complete, click on My Computer to start the scan
  • When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, remove the malicious item
If you are still having problem or you feel that there is still some more things resides in your system, then do this.

Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log

After you have done with the preparation, then post a new topic in HijackThis Logs And Analysis.

Also note that, missing taskbar/start menu can have various cause. While I do not know which one, from your post description, I recommend you to do the above before we look into other solution.

#3 Phi292

Phi292
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:37 PM

I would run my antivirus software or go to that site, but once the computer boots, safe mode or not, it has no icons or start menu, all i can access is the ctrl alt dlt menu and shut stuff down or restart, but nothing abnormal runs in safe mode, so i cannot do anything = / . If i pull the plug and start up the computer, i get about 1 1/2 minutes of lag time before the virus or whatever has time to run itself, so i ran system restore, but still no good, system restore found nothing = / and still has a problem.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:02 PM

When you boot into safe mode, you should see your user name and administrator. Have you tried logging in with the admin account? If you could get to that desktop, you could go to start menu/control panel/user accounts and create a new user account. Reboot, then log in with the new account. With luck, you'll get a desktop with icons and can run the scan from there.

You mentioned "all computers" so I'm assuming you are the only user account for the one you are using. If there is another user account on it and it isn't password protected, you could also run online scans from there.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:52 AM

With the Ctrl-Alt-Del thing you'll get the Task Manager. On it will be a menu in the upper left (If it's not visible, double click on the gray border to make it visible). Select New Task from the first option on the left and type in "explorer.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter. That "should" restore your desktop.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Phi292

Phi292
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:14 PM

Once i rerun explorer.exe, the desktop/start menu come up and go away multiple times, taking up all system resources for a bit until it decides to stop.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:53 AM

Try Kelly's Korner.

Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar - #195 on the right.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:11 AM

Something is terminating your desktop (the explorer.exe process). It's most likely to be a virus, with a less likely possibility of an operating system corruption. With the history of virus/trojan stuff on your system, I'd say that that was the most likely reason for it.

I'd suggest using a BartPE disk (free here: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ ) and some of the command line antivirus scanners ( http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...G=Google+Search ) to remove the infection (or at least get enough of it so you can boot into Windows).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users