Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unholy Undeletable File

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hatto

hatto

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:22 PM

hi guys.

last year my mate gave me a DVD with a few gig of music on it which i copied onto my computer. it has all been working fine, without a trace of a problem, until the other day.

i was using windows media player, when suddenly it crashed without any reason to do so. i launched it again, and the same thing kept happening, as soon as it opened.

thinking there was something drastically wrong with my computer (explorer too kept dying at random intervals when navigating my music), i started to backup my music to a portable hardrive so as to do a destructive system restore (all my non-destructive system restore points were faulty for some reason)

eventually, during my attempts to copy over my music, i discovered that the problem lay with a single folder. this folder hadn't given me any trouble before, and i had even synched its contents to my gigabeat, but for some reason something is so fatally wrong with it that if i even put my cursor over it explorer dies.

i told WMP to monitor a different folder to my main music folder, and the errors stopped, and i have checked and all the other errors on my computer are directly attributable to this folder.

i have tried:
  • deleting it using killbox
  • CHKDSK - nothing changed
  • deleting it through CMD.EXE (with and without the explorer shell running - CMD dies whenever i attempt "DEL" or DELTREE" on the folder)
  • every manner of virus scan known to man.
  • and banging my head against my computer repeatedly
the file path of the folder is:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Jack Johnson\Sing Alongs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George\Jack_Johnson_And_Friends-Sing-A-Longs_And_Lullabies_For_The_Film_Curious_George-2006-RNS

(perhaps it has something to do with the name being too long)

thankyou very much for taking the time to read this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:26 PM

Can you rename the file?
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 hatto

hatto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:32 PM

if i put my cursor over it, explorer dies along with all my explorer windows (the taskbar disappers too and i need to enter task manager and run explorer.exe)

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:15 PM

Move everything out of the folder, Sing Alongs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George, except for Jack_Johnson_And_Friends-Sing-A-Longs_And_Lullabies_For_The_Film_Curious_George-2006-RNS.
Use Unlocker to delete the Sing Alongs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George folder.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 hatto

hatto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:24 AM

if i put my cursor over the folder explorer dies. i can't right mouse click on it.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:46 AM

Try uninstalling and then reinstalling your codecs. I've heard this sometimes works.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:21 AM

Which folder crashes Explorer?
Sing Alongs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George, or Jack_Johnson_And_Friends-Sing-A-Longs_And_Lullabies_For_The_Film_Curious_George-2006-RNS
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:49 AM

Did you view it with thumbnail? If so, change to other view type.

There is a known issues for explorer.exe with some codecs. I'm not sure about mp3s, but video does have this problem.

You can try and see.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:01 AM

Try DelInvFile which has never (in my long experience) been unable to delete a file.

Get it here: http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/index.htm

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 06 June 2007 - 07:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users