Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Burning Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 M1R463

M1R463

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:17 PM

Okay, so I've been around the block more than enough, I hear names like "Nero" or "Alcohol" but i still can't afford to pay for them when all i need to do is simply burn data to a DVD instead of video. I personally use DiVX for that (which i know is beside the point) but maybe one of you guys can point me in the right direction for some decent freeware. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:44 PM

You could try DEEPBURNER FREE. Available here: http://www.deepburner.com/

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:43 PM

My favorite is InfraRecorder. It and a few more can be found in the Thread Freeware Replacements for Common Commercial Apps.

Posted Image

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:52 PM

I reccomend ImgBurn by LUK, it even includes a tool to fix all the filter crap everything else tries to install

the new version to be released soon will have even more features
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:06 AM

I have recently discovered Cool CD Burner (does DVD's too).

http://coolcdburner.com/

I have been using Ashampoo Burning Studio for years and I really loved it. It does just about everything you'd want, but doesn't have the bloat or conflicts often associated with the bloatware like Nero and Roxio. Although it has grown from about 7 mb to 22 mb with all the extra backup features now. But when I finally got my DVD burner (Combo cd/dvd), I had problems with multi-session data dvd's. It didn't matter what brand or if I used -R or +R. I could never get more than 3 or 4 sessions on a data dvd before it would suddenly appear to be an empty disc at the next session. And yes. I knew about the 2 GB size restriction for subsequent sessions. It still failed no matter what size my sessions were. So, I would lose my previous sessions if I added to it. So for a year now, I've had a stack of still readable but un-filled data dvd's laying around.

Then I stumbled upon Cool CD Burner. In my readings about it, it's never said that it's a smaller free version of Cheetah but the support contact goes to the same place as Cheetah. The "help" is very basic. For example, for music cd's you have to manually tick DOA option in tools each time. It doesn't select that by default when you choose audio. To burn a video DVD you must drag the entire video_ts folder over, and the files inside will follow. If you just drag the bup and ifo's you'll only burn a data dvd. The status bar at the bottom will show the disc space used on a multi-session disc, but you won't see the list of the old files until you drag over the next new file. So in that sense, it drops the ball when it says it's simple for complete noobs to use.

But despite all that, it's worth trying. I did and I now have multi-session data dvd's that are filling up!

It does not have one useful function and that is a direct copy of an already existing cd. They recommended switching to Cheetah for that. But with a little searching I solved that by getting Clone CD (only 2 mb) for those times I want to make copies of my purchased music cd's so I can preserve the original.

If you go to the link I posted, look at the last link on the page, "Get It Free". I posted at downloads.com and received my serial within 24 hours. But even if you don't want to do that, the nag to register is only 5 seconds and then Cool CD is fully functional.

Edited by mommabear, 02 June 2007 - 09:09 AM.

#6 M1R463

M1R463
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:49 AM

Wow, thanks alot you guys/gals.... people really helped me out. I think that i'll be good to go for a while. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users