Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something Change Comodo Fw's Permissions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:31 PM

This just now happened, so I am now running my first scan. I turned my PC on, and AVG brought up a warning that the AV needed attention. When I tried to update, it failed to connect. I checked my Comodo firewall, and all the permissions for AVG to access the Internet were changed to "block". I returned them to "allow", and successfully updated. I started a scan, and right away, four items came up as "change" under "result/infection". They are: Boot Sector of disk, user32.dll, shell32.dll, and ntosknrl.exe. Note that these four items are being shown as "changes", and are not being listed as threats.

The only thing that I can think of that would change the permissions in Comodo for AVG to access the Internet would be malware. Because of this suspicion, any comments and/or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:46 PM

That could be a result of an update for comodo or AVG. Here is the links to two of the best programs to scan with if you don't already have them.

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:30 PM

So an update could possibly cause that? I would have never thought. I'll continue to run scans to be sure. Thanks for the advice. Also, thank you for the links; I already have both of those, in addition to others.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:35 PM

I use Zone Alarm and it happens to me with updates and power outages.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 11:17 PM

I use the Kerio Firewall, and Kerio will notify me if the software has been changed since the last time it was run and I have to tell it anew whether to allow it or not. I haven't had the experience of the firewall simply blocking the program when it has been changed.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users