Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Problems With The Zlob Trojan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Phil666

Phil666

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:03 PM

Hi all,

I shall try to be as detailed and specific as possible.

I printed out the instructions from this site (specifically : http://bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic81275.html) entitled, "Automated Removal Instructions for SpyDawn" - I believe I have this computer infection because I get the constant popup as follows :

"System Alert! System has detected a number of active spyware applications that may impact the performance of your computer. Click the icon to get rid of unwanted spyware by downloading an up-to-date antispyware solution."

So I followed the aforementioned instructions and downloaded, 'SmitFraudFix' then proceeded through the instructions as far as point 7. At point 8, where the instructions say, "The program will start cleaning your computer and go through a series of cleanup processes. When it is done, it will automatically start the Disk Cleanup program as shown by the image below..." it did proceed through the series of cleanups - specifically :

"Killing process... / hosts... / Generic Renos Fix... / Deleting infected Files..." / and then appeared the following comment, which may or may not be associated with my problem which is to follow shortly, "File not found - C:\DOCUME~1\PHILIP~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\*.* " / then 'Registry Cleaning' / followed by 'Do you want to clean the registry? <y/n>'.

However, as per the instructions I did not need to select 'Yes' or 'No' (though I did select "y" initially before I then started over again for the following same reason) as the the Disk Cleanup image appeared automatically, but the image on the instructions says, "The Disk Cleanup utility is clearing up unnecessary files on your machine" then has a progress bar of green boxes full to indicate the end of the process. However, the 'Disk Cleanup' image I received (which I thought was just the initial box which would take a few minutes before the one on the instructions appeared) said, "Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space you will be able to free on (C:). This may take a few minutes to complete. Calculating. Scanning : Compress old files." However, in this image the progress bar had automatically only three green boxes and it remained that way from 16:22 (on Friday 1st June 2007) for 3 hours and 26 minutes, when I decided to abandon it at 19:47, at which point I decided to turn the computer back on not in 'safe mode' and try my best to post this problem.

Therefore, is there anybody out there who can assist me?

Regards,

Phil.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 01 June 2007 - 03:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:18 PM

The programs below should fix your problem. Not sure why the cleaner is not working for you. Could be malware related or not.

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How To start Windows in Safe Mode
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:32 PM

Please download RogueRemover and save to you Desktop. (This program is for Win XP, 2000, NT only)
  • Double-click on rr-free-setup.exe to install in C:\Program Files\RogueRemover.
  • During the installation an icon will automatically be created on your Desktop.
  • Double-click on the RogueRemover icon to launch the program and select Check for Updates.
  • If prompted, click Download to receive the latest updates.
  • When completed, close the update window.
  • Select "Scan" and the program will walk you through the remaining steps.
If you continue to have problems after this and the scans buddy215 suggested, then post a hijackthis log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.

Edited by quietman7, 01 June 2007 - 08:38 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users