Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe Using 100%?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shaft

Shaft

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:55 PM

Hi, every time i start my computer, it freezes completely for about 15 minutes, with the process "svchost.exe" using 100% of the process. I've tried downloading the patch from microsoft's homepage, and it didnt work. So is it virus or adware related? I'm posting my hijack this log file, but i doubt you'll find anything in it!
thanks in advance!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 21:50:15, on 2007-06-01
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FWService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\LaunchApplication.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FirewallGUI.exe
C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\Program\iTunes\iTunes.exe
C:\Program\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal\Ad-Aware.exe
C:\Program\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Polski\Skrivbord\Skit\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCSuiteTrayApplication] C:\Program\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\LaunchApplication.exe -startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [igndlm.exe] C:\Program\IGN\Download Manager\dlm.exe /windowsstart /startifwork
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program\Delade filer\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: CA ISafe (CAISafe) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\isafe.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program\Delade filer\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Firewall Plus (PCToolsFirewallPlus) - PC Tools - C:\Program\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FWService.exe
O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia. - C:\Program\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shaft

Shaft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:09 AM

i'm really sorry to bump this topic, but i really need help. I've tried reading other topics regarding the same thing, but they won't help. Thanks in advance

#3 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:38 AM

Hello Shaft and welcome to the BC HijackThis forum. I don't see any signs of viruses or malware in the log. It is clean.

It does appear that there are duplicate programs installed and running that could conflict with each other. It is not recommended to run more than one anti-virus application or more than one firewall at the same time. On this machine, for anti-virus applications, both AVG and Zonelabs anti-virus are running and for firewalls both PCTools firewall and Zonelabs firewall.

I would highly recommend either sticking with the Zonelabs combined product and removing AVG and the PCTools firewall or removing the Zonelabs product and keeping AVG and the PCTools firewall.

Only 1 anti-virus and 1 firewall product should ever be running at the same time.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users