Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Selecting Replacement Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:16 PM

OK, having somehow screwed up a socket 370 board that I have, I am considering a replacement. It doesn't seem essential to get the exact same thing, just something that lets me re-use my Intel CPU, SDRAM, and AGP video card. What were some good motherboards in the socket 370/SDRAM/AGP 4x era? Does anyone have any favorites or know which had good reputations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:47 AM

Could you list what motherboard, make of computer, and model? Socket 370 motherboard are fairly cheap on ebay. Have you thought about a stripped down Dell or HP to install your componants in? The Dell GX100 it as excellent choice for that.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:10 PM

The board that I damaged was a Tyan S1854/Trinity 400. It's an early FCPGA boad, with a slot 1 as well as a socket 370. I was thinking that it'd be a good idea to get something a little bit later in that generation. The CUSL2 is available for a decent price, for example. This is a socket 370 board that takes up to 1.5 Gb of RAM vs. the Tyan's 768 Mb. And it has faster IDE controllers (ATA100 vs. ATA66). The problem is that it's hard to find lists of 'known problems' for older boards like this. What if it had/has a compatibility problem with Matrox video cards? (My AGP video card is a Matrox G450). There's no easy way to check these things out. I presume I could find the last BIOS and manuals at the manufacturer site, but not 'special issues' like this.

Edited by Alchemist, 02 June 2007 - 06:11 PM.

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

I really don't think it would be worth the expense versus something newer. The $50-100 for ur mobo would just slow you down when you decide to buy a future computer. Just start checking out new stuff. Really, I don't think reviving it is worth the money.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:19 PM

The CUSL2-C is available on eBay for around $30, not $50-$100. Considering this would revive a complete working computer, while even a 'cheapie' new computer would run at least ten times that, I'd say it is a pretty good deal. I'll still be getting the new one when the dual core chips get their major prices cuts as quad (and more) core chips come out. Sometime near the end of this year, I think. :thumbsup:

#6 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 04:22 PM

So, does anyone have any information or opinions about the Asus CUSL2-C? Or a recommendation of some other well-regarded motherboard of that generation?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:45 PM

I like Asus mobo's, but don't have any experience with the CUSL2-C.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:17 PM

Well, the Intel chipset on that board appears to have a hard limit of 512 Mb. The CUV4X-C on the other hand has a limit of a full 1 Gb, which is much better. Any thoughts on this board? It uses the VIA Apollo chipset that was apparently considered pretty good in its time/generation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users