Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Modem Is Working Behind My Back

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 novirusplease

novirusplease

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:50 PM

I already had this problem several times (and also last year).

My modem (ZyXel - adsl) is intermittently active (every 3-4s it becomes active) even when the PC is switched off.
I use Zonealarm and Avira Antivir. AVG (all software are free versions) is also sometimes used. I scanned my PC with Gmer, DrWebCureIt and Combofix lately but nothing changed.

I first thought that my PC has been infected by a spyware or a similar virus but after careful examination by a HJT Team member (Rosty) in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Topic, it seems that there is no malware to be found.

The intermittently active modem problem has once been solved thanks to some good advice (HijackThis Logs and Analysis Topic). The modem was indeed completely inactive when it should not be. This good situation lasted for several weeks. After a while it started again to be active without reason.

This problem is really a pain. I really wish to get rid of it once and for all. How come that the modem is active when the PC is turned off?

Any guidance is warmly welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:43 AM

My modem (ZyXel - adsl) is intermittently active (every 3-4s it becomes active) even when the PC is switched off.
I use Zonealarm and Avira Antivir. AVG (all software are free versions) is also sometimes used. I scanned my PC with Gmer, DrWebCureIt and Combofix lately but nothing changed.

I do not believe it has affected you modem but, are you running two antivirusa program at the same time? AntiVir and AVG are both antivirus. If you are running both I would advise you to deactivate one be for it becomes a problem.

Have you looked in ZA log to see what if any traffic is present?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:04 AM

Nothing in the ZA log book.

Which of the antiviruses would you deactivate (AVG or AntiVir)?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:32 AM

I have been using AVG free for several years, and I just purchase the File Server Edition for one of my servers at home so I would say keep AVG active and disable or uninstall AntiVir.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:26 PM

IME, cable modem, and some other broadband providers periodically send "hits" to the modem wich causes the activity light to blink even when the computer is off. My Experience with an ADSL modem however is nil.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users