Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Put An Icon Back Into The All Programs List

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 patop

patop

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

I admit I did it to myself. :thumbsup: It happened in a moment when my brain was taken over by an :flowers:. And now I hope to fix it.

Instead of creating a shortcut for a program and dragging the shortcut to my desktop, I dragged the icon. Now the icon is no longer in the programs list in the startup menu. I would like to put it back, but it seems impossible to drag it there. What do I do?

Thanks, Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:46 AM

Hi Pat.
I didn't think it was possible but I use the classic menu. :thumbsup:
Right click on the menu shortcut with the missing icon and select properties.
Click the "customize" tab then the "change icon" button. Pick one or navigate to the .exe representing the program.

#3 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:52 AM

You should be able to just drag it back. I just tried it and it works.
Click on the icon and hold then move to start menu and as you hold it over it the menu will open.
Navigate to where you want it then release.
You will still have a copy on the desktop that you can delete.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#4 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:53 AM

2 ways (among others)

You just drag the shortcut from start menu to your desktop. The easiest way to put back sortcut to start menu is the follow:
a) RIGHT CLICK with your mouse on start menu and select explore.
find the file of the program you want in start menu,
:thumbsup: right click on desktop shortcut and choose copy then go back to explorer right click into explorer and select paste.

That's it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You didn't mention which operating system you're using, but on Windows XP, RIGHT click on Start, choose "Explore". ON the left side of the screen, under C\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Start Menu\, then click once directly on the "Programs" folder to display your personal Start Menu listings. Now, simply drag the shortcut from the desktop to the right window..

You should now be able to check the normal Start Menu for the shortcut.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 patop

patop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:22 PM

This is truly the most helpful and fast forum I've run into! Thanks! :thumbsup:

#6 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:50 AM

Glad you got your problem fixed. Just out of curiosity, how did you fix it?
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users