Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Stability Test

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 squall_1981

squall_1981

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:35 AM

Has anybody else had this problem before?

I used the video card stability test from this site: http://freestone-group.com/video-card-stability-test.htm. A fairly popular benchmark test. How is it that my video card (Asus 7950Gt 512MB) performance is not exceeding the performance of a 6600GT according to their test results? The 3 minute benchmark rating was 472 fps. I have my new computer configuration listed in my signature. My mother board limits my video PCI-E x16 card to 4x mode, but I've heard that the decrease in performance is negligible due to the fact that most games rarely go beyond 4x. As you can see, I have a really powerful processor. My ram is 2GB ddr1, but it still runs really well in vista and games, and it got a 5.0 score in the Vista Windows Experience Index(My base score is 5.0, everything else is rated higher).

Even my old system showed inconsistencies in the stability test. My old system wasn't too shabby, a P4 that ran a 7800gs 256MB card, yet still performed under the 6600GT according to the Freestone group. Don't remember that fps rate, but I believe it was in fact lower than my current card.

Am I missing something? Are there settings in BIOS that need tweaking? I don't understand why this test has always shortchanged me. My Windows Experience Rating on my card is 5.9 in windows and 5.9 in graphics. A much more acceptable rating to me of course, but I've always heard that the Vista rating should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Edited by squall_1981, 01 June 2007 - 07:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:29 AM

Even my old system showed inconsistencies in the stability test. My old system wasn't too shabby, a P4 that ran a 7800gs 256MB card, yet still performed under the 6600GT according to the Freestone group. Don't remember that fps rate, but I believe it was in fact lower than my current card.

Am I missing something? Are there settings in BIOS that need tweaking? I don't understand why this test has always shortchanged me. My Windows Experience Rating on my card is 5.9 in windows and 5.9 in graphics. A much more acceptable rating to me of course, but I've always heard that the Vista rating should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Inconsistencies might just as well be a flaw in the test as in the system setup. Try running 3DMark06 and see what it says.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 02 June 2007 - 06:30 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 squall_1981

squall_1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:29 PM

That's a large download. Will try it later. I just did a real world test on it. Far Cry looks F-ing AWESOME on its highest settings! The graphics make me drool on this game! This game actually came with my old graphics card, an XFX 6200. Never ran on highest settings until now.

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

Oftentimes, the way video cards are compared is to run each different card in the exact same system configuration, if possible.

In other words,

if you had both cards and ran tests in your system with each card,

you should see a performance increase with the 7950Gt.

Very often, cards with inferior specs will give better test results (and real world gaming results) in a tweaked system with the right BIOS, etc. than a much better card in a less powerful, or improperly set up, system.

By the way, that Vista performance rating currently "tops out" at the 5.9 levels that you are getting. Supposedly, Microsoft is going to correct that and extend the ratings to higher numbers. Right now, whether you should be showing a 6.1 video rating or an 8.9, it will still only show a 5.9. Hopefully, they'll correct this soon.

Edited by JohnWho, 02 June 2007 - 12:44 PM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:19 PM

I agree with John and Alpha and 3dmark is the standard in graphics benchamarking its a very good program and reccomended not only by people on this site but Tomshardware.com as well.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users