Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Troubles

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Stacy Jamie

Stacy Jamie

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:22 AM

Hi, just noticed now that the lower corner of the screen where windows toolbar is (specifically, the clock) fades to a bluish-purple hue. The perimeter is a triangle fomed by the screen corners and the AM/PM of the time... Isn't it supposed to be a consistent bright blue? What is wrong and how could I fix it? The problem has been persisting for almost two days.

Monitor is an AOC 5en CRT according to the manual and it has been working fine until now. Haven't changed any settings recently aside from making the resolution to 800 then to 1024 to check if it will disappear.

Edited by Stacy Jamie, 01 June 2007 - 05:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:24 AM

Are you able to try another monitor on the computer, or try the monitor on another computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Stacy Jamie

Stacy Jamie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:27 AM

No computer nearby. I'm in my dorm and this is the only desktop computer around :thumbsup:

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:52 AM

I'm sorry but I don't really have any idea what's causing your problem. You could always try updating your graphics driver.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:27 PM

Do you have a speaker sitting near to this monitor, or anything with a large magnet?

Check the monitor owners manual and degauss the monitor, after you have moved speakers, etc at least 24" away.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 Stacy Jamie

Stacy Jamie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:32 AM

Uh oh.. I have one speaker on top of the CPU and the other on top of the monitor (they are logitech s100 speakers only) and they've been there for like 4months now.

Why, what do they do?

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:58 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degaussing

http://www.wikihow.com/Degauss-a-Computer-Monitor

#8 Stacy Jamie

Stacy Jamie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:21 AM

Thanks for the link! But what I also meant was what do the speakers do to the monitor? and where should I move them?

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:37 AM

the magnetic field of the speaker affects the crt. it alters the electron beam just enough to change which phosphors are illuminated.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:31 AM

Is the picture in your avatar supposed to look a bit "ragged"? I mean that, to me, it seems to have some distortion. If not, there may be an issue with your video card, drivers, or operating system that could be causing this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:52 AM

Not only do the speakers affect the monitor, the monitor affects the speakers - the magnets cause distortion. Just move them away a bit.

I had a really nice but very old Sony Trinitron that somebody gave me - it had severe color distortion that was noticeable more on some backgrounds than others. It cleared up eventually, before it failed completely and would no longer switch out of power saving mode.

As has been said, it would be very easy to swap monitors to see if the problem persists - the "permanent" magnets in the monitor will slowly fail over time and it may be failing. If the problem persists, then I agree it may be a video card issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users