Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Psu Compatability

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 satnam

satnam

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:03 AM

My PC has ATX 250W power supply

Is it safe to replace this with a 400W or even 500W PSU?

Does the higher rating mean that the PC can handle more powerhunger devices, and in the current set up would just run cooler???

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:35 AM

What kind of computer do you have? Is it a Dell, E Machines? Some companies make the power supplies different, such as an old emachine I saw would not take a normal size PSU... But a bigger PSU is a good thing, it handles more power hungry devices. As long as you get a good one, Antec and Thermaltake are good brands. Do you have any case fans? If not, it's a good idea to get some. The more air flow the cooler things will stay. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 squall_1981

squall_1981

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:48 AM

Upgrading power supply is always safe as long as it is a good brand power supply. This is where more information from you is needed. Is your computer custom built or is it the default power supply of a boxed system. A 250 watt power supply is insufficient for any computer that is decent and built within the last few years. The age of your computer and the power of your system has slot to do with how much power you need. If you are running a computer made in 2002 or before, I can see where you can get away with a 250 watt power supply. Anything built after that needs something more powerful, otherwise you risk power supply failure. If however you are running an older model boxed computer with its default power supply and it has worked fine all this time, why upgrade the power supply unless you plan on upgrading the whole system? If your computer is custom built, we need information on the specs of your system: Model and number designations of your processor, video card, and how many cd drives you have. Your motherboard manufacturer may or may not have a minimum standard on the wattage you need. I suspect your power supply is running hot if your system is custom. Whether you need 400 or bigger depends on your system components.

Edited by squall_1981, 01 June 2007 - 04:53 AM.

#4 satnam

satnam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:37 AM

The PC is about 4 years old, was top of range at the time, works great - I have upgraded RAM. but the PSU is getting noisy so may fail soom
which is why I am thinking of changing it
I guess a 450W will be ok from what I hear
thanks for your comments

#5 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:32 PM

Upgrading power supply is always safe as long as it is a good brand power supply.

Well, almost. It's safe as long as the old power supply was not a proprietary one, like dell (as wildabeast said). The older dell computers actually switched cables on the mobo power connector and in the power supply, so that if you switched it with a normal one, it would fry the entire computer. How nice of them! I think anything bought past 2000 is normal though, but you should check first.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users