Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win-doze! Laptop Stops After 3-4 Mins. Of Starting Up.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zany_Max

Zany_Max

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:50 AM

Hi, new to this website. After looking at a few tutorials and posts, and after having given up on my laptop, I thought I should ask the experts of this forum for a little help...

The System:
Toshiba Satellite A30
Windows XP
Not sure of the specs. for the computer, but it is a good few years old, maybe 4 years.

The Problem:
I've always had minor problems with my laptop, but not like this. After starting up my computer I have about 3 or 4 minutes before it doesn't respond to anything I do. By respond I mean if I click on a programme, be it short-cut or in the start menu it doesn't open it up. It simply displays the loading icon on the mouse, thens stops. (Sometimes it gives me longer before it stops doing anything if I open a few programmes quickly as soon as it starts-up.)
After this stage, I try to shut down. However my computer won't do that either, like other people on this forum with similar problems I have to hold down the power button; as after clicking 'shut down' it freezes.

Maybe this wont help, but when I try to shutdown, it comes up with error messages, like normal ones where you have to click 'End Now' ***

What I've Tried:
  • I tried opening the TaskManager but it won't let me do that. (Ctrl+Alt+Del , and by right clicking task bar > task manager)
  • I've tried system restore, a number of times.
  • I've tried running a programme to monitor what's goin' on on my PC, though it was primitive, it didn't show any errors.
  • *** In relation to the above mention, I went on to Windows, and used Google, to see what these programmes were that wouldn't end, turns out they are Windows progammes/processes. One I remember was 'EventReciever' But there were a couple others.
  • I tried to re-install windows. Inserting the Windows CD. And clicking both options to either just look for corrupt files, or a description of that nature, and repair them. Or to remove Windows XP.
  • With the later option, I removed it, but didn't realise this wouldn't change anything significant. All that was gone was the programmes such as MS Word, Excel etc. So I tried to re-install it, but obviously the installation process takes time, so you guessed it, the computer stopped. Thus meaning I had to re-boot my PC. I then used System Restore, I think, and I managed to get the programmes back. However I don't know if this was to do with the part installation of Windows before hand.
Finally, I thought maybe the only way of saving my PC would be to make a bootable disk (Can't remember the name of any of the companies) that would wipe my hard drive. Ofcourse this would be a last resort, but considering the value of any documents on there I wouldn't mind too much if this needed to be done.

Thank-you anyone for reading this post, and whilst I understand it might be annoying me posting a topic similar to a few others (Some of which are even on the first page of topics) My problem or atleast the symptoms of it, are different to that of the other peoples'.

Thanks for the time, and in advance for anyone that can help me out, Max.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:58 AM

You could try doing a repair install of XP.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:26 PM

Did you use the CD that came with the computer (and followed the directions on the CD case) to restore Windows? If this is the case, it's likely that you've got hardware problems preventing the reinstallation of Windows. Generally, the Toshiba restore utility is an image of your hard drive that's reinstalled when you run it.

I'd first suggest checking your hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive. If you can't find one, I'd recommend the Drive Fitness Test that's available for free on the web.

Then check your memory with this free utility: http://www.memtest86.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users