Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Difficulties

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:10 AM

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine gave me their desktop just before they moved to Spain but they didn't have the keyboard with them and they never got around to bringing it before they moved.

That gives me a problem trying to use the computer as it won't boot without the keyboard. It will start to boot then stop and flash a hateful message at me saying "No keyboard detected" and then just sit there.

I can't use the keyboard from my other PC because the plug is different. I think that it has what is called a PS2 plug where the keyboard is supposed to plug in.

God only knows who made that machine because it doesn't have any kind of name on it anywhere that I can find so I have no idea where to look for information about it.

Is there anyway that I can get around having to have a keyboard plugged in to get that thing to boot? The Techs at the mall computer store are more interested in selling me a new system than trying to help me make this one work :thumbsup: .

Thanks for any input.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:52 AM

Hi Wendy.
Any settings to bypass the keyboard check at boot would be in the bios. Unfortunetly, you need a keyboard to get in there.
There are usb to ps2 (and vice versa) adapters available but keyboards are so cheap you're better off just getting a new keyboard to avoid swapping all the time.

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:21 PM

Hi HitSquad,

Thanks for the reply. I have an extra keyboard so that's not the problem. My problem is that I can't find a keyboard that has a plug on it that is that big.

Shoot I tried to get an adapter for it at BestBuy, I even lugged the PC in so they could see what I was talking about and the counter Tech acted like he had no idea what that big plug on the back of the machine was for.

Another Tech, same store, said "I think it's called a PS2 plug" but when I asked if I could get an adapter for it he said that he doubted it and that BestBuy didn't handle anything like that. When I pressed him a little he suggested that I try Radio Shack.

So there is such a thing as an adapter for that, right?

Thanks,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:59 PM

Yes there's an adapter, Pic. It is for a ps/2 keyboard(female) to an AT motherboard port (male)
Mark

scroll down to #02475

Edited by garmanma, 01 June 2007 - 08:00 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:00 AM

Hi Garmanma,

Wow, thanks. At least now I know there is such a thing and what to ask for when I go to the store.

Thanks,

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users