Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I "broke" My System Restore

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shred1970

shred1970

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:51 AM

OK This is how it happened. A few days ago all my programs were changed into a ".lnk" type file. I panicked and went to system restore to find it wouldn't work either, so I right clicked on it pressed properties and then changed the file extension to .exe in the hope that it would work again so I got get out of my .lnk delema. It didn't work. So I posted my .lnk problem here and "Budapest" helped me out fantastically and everything came back up and running except for system restore ( which has got me out of a few jams before ). I've tried turning it off and on but still it won't work. When I do click on system restore a command prompt screen appears as well as an error box which reads "" 16 BIT MS-DOS SUBSYSTEM C\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~\STARTM~\PROGRAMS\ACCESS~1\SYSTEM~1.EXE. THE NTVDMCPU HAS ENCOUNTERED AN ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION. CS:0541 IP:019fOP:c7 72 14 00 00 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application " I have the option here to click the 'Ignore' button. Any Ideas anyone ? :thumbsup:
" Those who wander from the way of understanding will surely rest in the assembly of the dead." - Author unknown.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:41 AM

Hi there shred1970,

I've never heard of this problem before. One thing you could try is to run the System File Checker (SFC).

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:20 AM

Hi shred, have a look at the links if Budapests post doesn't help its a bit of a hard one <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841568/en-us" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841568/en-us

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/error.html

With the second link there is links on the top of the page with more help and even a system restore forum ?????????? :thumbsup:

Edited by Monty007, 01 June 2007 - 02:22 AM.

MCP
MSDST

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:05 AM

These might help.

278. Restore/Enable System Restore

289. to the right.... Restore System Restore Service

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

#5 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:25 PM

Hi everyone and thanks for the suggestions. I had a read and tried most of these now. I read the tutorial on using SFC.EXE to fix system files and that was good until I got to the bit where it ironically says to create a system restore point :thumbsup: However in that article I noticed this in usasma's post... "or you can look to see if your system has a repair or a non-destructive recovery option. This option will leave your programs and data intact while replacing all of the Windows files " I saw a folder in my windows directory named "repair" and my interest is piqued. http://bertk.mvps.org/html/error.html <-------- was really great and almost worked however my pc is demanding my sp2 CD which I dont have, I think I can get my hands on one though.
I downloaded the "restore system restore reg" file from Kellys-Korner and imported it into the registry but it didn't change anything. After all these different avenues I suspect that the actual program is fine and it is just the shortcut gone bad ( which makes sense because I fooled around with it in a panic ). So I've gone and went back to the shortcut for my systemrestore and removed the .exe file ending from the name and clicked on it. I get a familiar window opening asking me to choose a program to open the file or I can browse for one, which makes me think I just have to find the right thing to open it with ? Does any of this make any sense anyone ? Again thanks everyone for all the suggestions, if anything I'm sure learning a lot about my pc :flowers:
" Those who wander from the way of understanding will surely rest in the assembly of the dead." - Author unknown.

#6 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:54 PM

PS. I did a disk cleanup and choose the more options tab and clicked the "remove all but the most recent restore point " and continued the disk clean-up. No error message came up. I suspect the system restore program still works. Could the answer be as simple as finding the system restore program, creating a short cut and inserting that shortcut into the start menu folder ?

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:41 AM

Try this. Right click on Start and then click Explore all users. Then navigate to Start Menu>Programs>Accessories>System Tools. Right click on System Restore and select Properties. Select the Shortcut tab and make sure the Target field says %SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:18 AM

I got all excited then, Budapest, but when I clicked on properties there was no shortcut tab as the shortcut itself has changed ( it looks like a notepad icon but doesn't do anything unless I stick .exe on the end of it but that doesn't work)

Could I just go to or do a search for "%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" and then make a shortcut, put it on the desktop and then move the shortcut into c\windows\documents and setting\all users\start menu\programs\accessories\system tools ?

#9 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:44 AM

Thanks heaps Budapest, your the man! :thumbsup: With you giving me the system restore location, I tried what I said I was going to try and it works perfectly ! Who would have thought it was going to be that easy ! Thanks again Budapest and everyone else that had ideas to my problem Woooooo :flowers:

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:05 AM

Good to hear you sorted it out. :thumbsup:

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:46 AM

Maybe I spoke a little too soon, I tried to create a restore point and I got the message that I have to reboot. I figured that was fair enough since I/we only just got the thing going. So I rebooted and still got the same message. System restore is showing me that I do have a system checkpoint for yesterday though. Maybe leaving it alone for a little while might help ? I guess I still may have to go back, get and sp2 disk and go through some of those earlier tutorials you showed me. Some of that stuff is pretty taxing on the old brain cells though as I'm just a novice user. Do you have any "easy" ideas/advice for now Budapest ?

#12 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:11 AM

I remembered that you once said to turn it of and then back on ..... it worked, now its finally done . Thanks again Budapest :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users