Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A Computer?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Avenged

Avenged

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:32 PM

Hopefully I'm posting this question in the right section of the Forum. Alright, this is my first attempt at building a computer from scratch. Of course, I've ran into a problem. The first strange thing I noticed is that the power light is on when the computer is off an off when the computer is on. Then, I get no output on the monitor. I don't get any kind of POST beep. Just the fans running and the hard drive, so the computer is getting power. I really hope I just plugged something in wrong. I'm also not sure what I should expect to see if it is working properly. Would it boot to command prompt or something without the OS installed yet? Help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Here's a list of the parts I'm using:

Maxtor DiamondMax 21 STM3320820AS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott 3.2GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80547PG3200F
EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4
EVGA e-GeForce 7900 GS KO NVIDIA 256MB PCI-E Video Card

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:11 PM

Definitely sounds like you've got something wired wrong. Maybe crossed two posts instead of putting the LED on the right two?

Memory in the same-colored slots?

You may also have grounded something somewhere that you shouldn't have.

I'd start by rechecking (carefully!) the correct posts and polarity in the manual. Looking at the board, I don't see much of a manual with it. Is there a manual for it on the CD? There is according to a post on Newegg's site.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:35 PM

BTW - if it's working properly, you should see the drives light for a second each, some boot scrolling from the BIOS, maybe the "Del to enter Setup" kind of thing after the memory test. Then, something like: "Operating System Not Found"

#4 Avenged

Avenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:17 PM

Ok, I was talking with some friends at work and they said the same thing, there must be something wired wrong. Just about to crack it open and look again. Also, thanks for telling me about the RAM, I didn't put them in the same colored slots. And I also found out why I wasn't getting any kind of POST beep. I didn't plug in the internal speaker and I can't find the plug. :thumbsup: Any idea where it's located on the board? I really appreciate the help. :flowers:

Oh, and the board came with a little 7 step procedure intstead of a manual. Never thought of checking the disk, I just thought it had some drivers on it. I'll get to work right away. :trumpet: I'll be sure to let ya know how it goes. lol

Edited by Avenged, 01 June 2007 - 03:23 PM.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:58 PM

A lot of newer computers actually use the computer speakers rather than an internal speaker.

Yours has a built-in speaker.

I see a set of LEDs on the board for post codes. You need to see what those do when you try to boot up!

Wow, your front panel connectors are behind the floppy connector!

(I'm looking at your manual.)

There is a piezo speaker at the bottom of the motherboard - looks like a little round thing with a hole in it. No case speaker needed.

You should have the two memsticks installed in the blue slots. It will probably work no matter where you put them, but for dual-channel, they have to work in pairs. The blue slots should be marked 0 and 1, if you use a magnifying glass to see them. (Unless your eyes are better than mine.)

When you were installing the board, did you make sure that all the holes in the board lined up with the studs on the case? (Standoffs or whatever) A standoff somewhere in the middle of the board would not be good.

There should be about three power connectors - the 24-pin Molex for the main power to the board, the 8-pin connector on the top of the board, and possibly an auxiliary power for graphics. (Not sure where that one is.)

CPU fan must be plugged into fan connector at top of board - up and to the right of CPU.

12v connector goes up top and to the left of the row of capacitors. If you only have a 4-pin and not a 8-pin, you can use it, but they really like the 8-pin.

There's a little black receptacle for 4-pin molex connector to provide extra graphics power. It's right next to the blue floppy connector - between it and the front panel connector.

SATA cable should be toward the bottom of the board, the one toward the front of the computer is number 1. There are two at the bottom and four more above. These cables are a pain! You can break your motherboard trying to remove one of them. The locking end goes on the motherboard, the non-lock end goes on the drive.

Your front panel pinout:

"Top" of the board is the way it sits in the PC, unless you've got some weird upside-down case.

Hard drive LED should connect to the yellow connectors only. "-" is at the top of the board, "+" below it.

Reset button in blue. Power switch in red. These two switches have no particular polarity.

Power LED is on the green pins - again, "-" is at the top, "+" is below it. Hard to tell, maybe, which goes where when looking at the connectors from the case. Since I don't know what the wire colors are, I can't help much. It may not even matter, as long as you get the connectors in the right place.

#6 Avenged

Avenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:28 PM

Ok, to make a long story short, I've checked and double checked everything you've said.

The hard drive led and the disk drive led turn on like they're supposed to. When I try booting up the POST code led's show two dash marks. (like this: "- -")

Still no output on the monitor.

Both ends of my SATA cables seem to be locking ends.

I have the RAM in the blue connectors.

When I installed the board, everything lined up pretty neatly.

The power is connected in all three plugs. The manual was on the disk so pretty much everything you've said I already did.

My video card has two monitor outputs. Should I somehow be using them both?

The connectors for the power led are labeled "+" and "-" and I had them right before. The wires on the hard drive led connector are red and white. I'm assuming red is positive. And since the power and reset switch have no polarity I'm certain they're in the right place.

The tower assembly looks and sounds fine to me. Just, not seeing anything displayed. Can't be the monitor because I've tried it with three different ones. Considering I've spent nearly $1000 on all these parts, this is just a little bit more than just frustrating. :thumbsup:

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:47 PM

And I assume you've tried both monitor outputs. (Probably for dual monitors.)

I'm afraid you may beyond my abilities. We need somebody with new equipment experience.

Is there a manual for setting up the viddy card? It's possible that you need to set up the PCI express in the BIOS, but you can't do it if you can't see it.

The post codes don't show any such thing as --

Have you watched it while you try to boot up to see if it changes?

#8 Avenged

Avenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:49 PM

Nope, the POST code didn't change. I might have to bring it to one of my classes at ITT and get some help there. Just can't do that for another week. Oh well. I will get this working somehow. Thanks for your help though. When it works you'll be the first to know. :flowers:

PS: If anyone else reading this can help... that would be helpful. :thumbsup:

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:14 PM

Try removing the add on video card and using the on board VGA connector and see if you get anything on the screen.. If this is a totally new build you will probably have to install windows and then install the PCI-X video card, If that doesn't work try taking the board out of the case and powering it up on a table and see if you get a post screen, it may be shorting out inside the case. Also taking the board out of the case and reconnecting everything is better then trying to see what you did wrong as you may miss something.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 02 June 2007 - 02:15 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:20 PM

I don't believe there is a video card integrated into the motherboard. And although it is possible to add an old PCI card to see if it will run, that might add more problems into the mix. That is a consideration, though.

At this point, I'm wondering if the board is bad, or maybe the viddy card. No post codes seems odd, unless there's something that must be done to power it on. (Board has onboard LEDs for post)

EVGA Board Link

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:09 AM

Your right I don't see an onboard video card. I saw the Nvidia Sli chipset and thought that was the onboard graphics. Should have read closer. :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users