Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommend A Good Rpg For Me

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:09 PM

I'm looking to kill a little time for a while following a break-up (it was for the best). Can anyone recommend a great RPG? I've played Knights of the Old Republic and thinking about playing that again (although I'd have to buy it again...idiot me). I've also been looking at Elder Scrolls, but I'm just so familiar with Star Wars. I was also thinking about Lord of the Rings but don't really see much out there, although their Return of the King action game looks intriguing, but it's not an RPG.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:28 PM

Try NeverwinterNights 2

I've also been looking at Elder Scrolls

One of the greatest games i have is Oblivion
Its really realistic but requires a powerful PC to handle that

Heres the specs if you qualify for it:
Minimum
-XP
-512 System RAM
-2Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
-128MB Direct3d compatible video card and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver
Recommended
-3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
-1 GB System RAM
-ATX X800 Series,NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series or higher video card

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:49 AM

I have been playing oblivion for the past couple of months. So much to do and I feel I can go at a slow pace which is great with my limited time.

#4 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:54 AM

Definitely 2 of the best ones named. I am playing both right now, Oblivion and NWN Diamond. If I had to chose one I would certainly go with Oblivion. However, it might depend on the type of RPG you like. It looks like from your other choices you would love Oblivion. NWN is set up to play kind of like the older D&D games like the Baldur's Gate series. My only beef with Neverwinter is that they went from fairly realistic graphics in BG to bulky looking, bobble-headed, less realistic but pretty graphics. Oblivion bolsters unmatched, crazy, all out mind boggling graphics and puts you behind the character so to speak. I like that. However, the coding in the game in some ways is a little "scripted" I guess you could say, or perhaps, "cheesy"....but not too bad. I'd still say it is the best game I've played so far, and I've played a lot. Half-Life 2 falling in second (not an RPG though). The thing with Oblivion is this, when I first got it I was extremely disappointed because the graphics were a joke....that's because my computer sucked. I had to go out and upgrade my RAM immediately. With a couple of upgrades it now looks great, but I still cannot run it at 100% of its' capacity. So, in sum, if you don't have close to a 3 Gig processor and a 1 Gig RAM with a DVD ROM I would probably wait on the Oblivion until you do. I wish I had more than that myself. NWN is always a good choice. Good Luck!! :thumbsup:

Edited by GoodFortitude, 01 June 2007 - 11:55 AM.

A man isn't measured by how many men he can bring down but, rather, by how many he brings up.

Change your circumstances; change your mind.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:36 PM

What I do not like about the NWN games is they are very linear, maps included. At least in the BG series, though the plot was pretty linear, you could explore the maps as you see fit.

#6 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:13 PM

I would get either The Elder Scrolls Chapter III: Morrowind or Chapter IV: Oblivion.

I personally found Morrowind better than Oblivion. (And you can get it for 20$USD at Best Buy)

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#7 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:50 PM

Thanks...and I'm not worried about my rig handling a game like Oblivion, it's got plenty of power. Give you an idea, I'm able to play FEAR with almost everything maxed out.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:04 PM

I suggest Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights 2, Baldur's Gate (Old School, either the original or Shadows of Amn), Icewind Dale (If you like hack n' slash), X3: Reunion (If you like space-based simulation mixed with an RPG), and Jade Empire (A MUST PLAY if you like Knights of the Old Republic).

3939.png

#9 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

Also suggest FreeLancer (Very good game but a little old),Neverwinternights diamond
(4 in 1 collection of all of the series)

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:54 PM

Freelancer is okay. I would have liked a little more depth in terms of gameplay, that's how I got hooked on the X-Universe with X2: The Threat and X3: Reunion. Is the Neverwinter Nights Diamond collection only the expansions for the original NWN or does is include NWN2?

3939.png

#11 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:13 PM

excluding NWN2 and includes all the expansions for NeverwinterNights

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:36 AM

I heard jade empire was very linear and mostly an action game?

#13 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:34 AM

I have been playing oblivion for the past couple of months. So much to do and I feel I can go at a slow pace which is great with my limited time.

Is that game as in depth as people say it is? Say, more in depth than Guild Wars?

EDIT: On the original topic, Guild Wars is a good MMORPG....easy to dump a lot of time, and all three of their games that are out are all connected (can go from the first released game to the second to the third). I like it and dump probably to much time into it.

Edited by stevealmighty, 05 June 2007 - 08:35 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:09 AM

Is that game as in depth as people say it is? Say, more in depth than Guild Wars?

There really is an incredible amount to do. It is completely non-linear, which I love, but others do not.

For example, I have put at least 15-20 hours in and I haven't even started the main quest.

#15 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

If you want to waste time, then WoW is the way to go, man I've wasted days on that game. :thumbsup:
If life gives you lemons you should make lemonade, then find a buddy that life gave him vodka and throw a party!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users