Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Anyone Else Tired Of Being Lied To?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
85 replies to this topic

#1 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:05 PM

I want to start this as a thread where people can post the outrageous lies that they come across. They can be political (most of mine will be), judicial, or otherwise.

I, for one, am becoming thoroughly disgusted with the way we are treated by our 'leaders' and 'superiors'! :thumbsup:

Here is a clip of a police officer who called 911 because he and his wife imbibed too much pot. Now, I have no problem with the fact that the cop did this, I believe in freedom. And, I don't think he should automatically be fired; only if it is mandated within their Code of Conduct. What really riles me up about this instance is in the last part. They are interviewing his superior officer, asking why this cop was not prosecuted for anything, no misconduct, nothing. The interviewer asked if it had to do with the fact that he was a cop? This jack@$$ had the nerve to say NO! As if we are all blind fools!

Politically speaking, I was watching video of Alberto Gonzales contradict himself left and right within Congressional Hearings. I mean, the guy just flat out lies! And there is no recourse. No shame.

I could go on and on, but I am curious to see how many others are tired of being deliberately misled. Seriously, who do these people think they are?
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:57 AM

Seriously, who do these people think they are?

That's easy, these are the people that are elected, by the majority of the people, and the those who work for them. Here's a novel idea, vote them out! :thumbsup:

Edited by Wildabeast, 03 June 2007 - 11:58 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:29 AM

I seem to remember someone a few years ago saying something about Iraq being full to overflowing with weapons of mass destruction - now who was that again?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 blueandgold04

blueandgold04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:19 AM

I seem to remember someone a few years ago saying something about Iraq being full to overflowing with weapons of mass destruction - now who was that again?

Exactly, and what repercussions have come from that gross misdirection? None! What is it called when you lie to people in order to get them to give up money and possessions?? FRAUD!

I agree Wildabeast, but vote them out in favor of whom? Our political system has been hijacked! This two-part system has become a one-party with two figure heads. Idependent candidates are often underfunded, and they don't have a party association. So, people are slow to rally behind them en masse.

But there is no way that the Democrats are in any way different from the Republicans anymore! "We will never pass a bill that funds the troops without a timetable!!".... "Well, GW said no. I guess we should just give him what he wants."

Does anyone else get the feeling that this nation has turned into an affluent household being dominated by a petulant child, whose parents are too afraid of 'harming the child's autonomy' with showing resolve and integrity?
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:20 AM

Seriously, who do these people think they are?

That's easy, these are the people that are elected, by the majority of the people, and the those who work for them. Here's a novel idea, vote them out! :flowers:

First,

who they think they are is "politicians".

Politicians lie.

It's in their job description.

The problem for us normal folks is even if we voted every one of them out,

we'd only be replacing them with more of the same.

That's easy - that would be President Clinton and his lovely wife Hillary.

Oh, and President Bush and his lovely Vice President Cheney, too.

Also, the British, the Russians, the French, the Israelis,

and, if I remember correctly,

they guy on the corner that sells hot dogs!

(The Sabrett dogs, not the Vienna ones.)

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:28 AM

You need to do some research...because what you are hinting at is not true. Hint....it had to do with breaking over 14 UN resolutions, and also the 'development' of WMDs. Facts are your friends!

Getting outraged over something you don't necessarily know all the facts about it not healthy for you, and doesn't help any situation.

Rush Limbaugh (and I know many people hate him), had a great point when he said to his listeners....Turn off the news for a couple weeks. Disconnect from politics and things that frustrate you. Watch the quality of your life increase 10-fold. I have seen it work for many people. :thumbsup:

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:43 AM

It wasn't only "development" that was alleged. Check paragraphs 8 and 9 in this link. Facts are my friends.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:51 AM

? I guess I am not seeing what you are. I apologize.

I believe in your original post that you were hinting that only Bush said all these things and was the only one responsible for the Iraqi invasion. To say that is totally misrepresenting the truth in my opinion. Although, I don't know for sure that that is what you were getting at.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:58 AM

No...I wasn't saying that only Bush said these things...no need to apologise. I also seem to remember Blair saying something about Iraq being capable of launching a WMD in 40mins. But...even though other countries signed up to the invasion, I believe it never would have happened if Bush didn't want it to.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:06 AM

Ahh..okay.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think Bush wanted to go there?

By the way, I also am sick of being lied to, and misrepresented by our elected officials.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:10 AM

I'm sure there were a number of different reasons for it - although I've always thought that oil was probably the main reason.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:15 AM

The biggest thing I am sick of is the intentional misreporting by our scummy media....here is a report from an embedded reporter in Iraq....

f the press is the eyes, ears and voice of a nation, we in the United States, are currently deaf, dumb and blind. Like most Americans, I wasn't sure about the reporting coming from Iraq, but after spending much time in the Green Zone before transitioning to Fallujah, I realize the press out here is about as credible as an unsolicited e-mail from your bank requesting a social security number to update their records. There's a semblance of legitimacy, but if you enter your personal data, you're going to get ripped off.

Last week, I was witness to one of those media con jobs. The 5/10 Marine civil affair unit out of Camp Lejeune, works with the local police and Iraqi army. It's a tough job, lots of danger, but the word across the board is that the strategy of getting the Iraqis to stand up and defend themselves is working here in Fallujah. Officers have referred to the Anbar Awakening with a sense of pride and accomplishment. I interviewed bored Marine infantry men, many on their second tour, who told me they were in less danger because the Fallujan police and Iraqi Army were picking up the slack, responding to tips from locals and responding to attacks. In fact, that day, the police was so effective they even prevented a suicide bomber from entering the building. We heard the boom, and as if on cue, RPG and small arms fire. The Marines of the 2/6 infantry unit grinned as they pulled on their equipment and took positions, but in reality, the Iraqi police had prevented a major suicide attack. There was, however, one victim—the suicide bomber.

So, how did the death of a sole suicide bomber become the Wall Street Journal headline of "Suicide Bombing in Fallujah Leaves 25 Dead, 50 Wounded"? To be fair, NPR, CBS, Sky News, and CNN all parroted the same numbers, as they rushed to report something—anything! The answer is a 20-minute helicopter away in Baghdad. Where the majority of "reporting" is done from the Green Zone.

In a country where really mean looking barbed wire is more common than palm trees, the Green Zone could pass for a tourist resort. There are monuments, big buildings and, contrary to previous newspaper articles, plenty of ice cream. Reporters are comfortable and tend not to leave the fortified walls. The Green Zone probably reminds many members of the media of the elite university campuses they attended and how edgy it was to go slumming in the surrounding high crime neighborhoods. So, the members of the press rely on "stringers" for information, and if those stringers are the same people who purchase vests for aspiring martyrs to wear it doesn't seem to matter. To borrow their own words about boots, they just don't have enough eyes on the ground. And why should they? Joe Klein can send his articles for Time Magazine from the comfort of the Manhattan office, besides, there are plenty of other problems they can pick at. Back in the Green Zone, one reporter complained that the water at the American ambassador's press conference wasn't cold enough and that this was a metaphor for how bad the war in Iraq was going.

There are currently only a handful of media embeds outside of Baghdad. A press that earns its bacon by "keeping them honest" wouldn't dare take a look in the mirror, but you should question whatever reflections on this conflict you read in print or see on TV. For coverage, the media has outsourced credibility for the flashy "Breaking News" headline. So far during my stay, the number one criticism I've heard from the troops in Iraq is that the press represents them poorly. The irony is that the press does an even poorer job representing itself.

Matt Sanchez is the recipient of the Jeanne Kirkpatrick Award for Academic Freedom and is currently embedded in Iraq where he is doing the radio programs "In their Own Words" and "Hometown Heroes". You can follow his experiences at http://www.matt-sanchez.com/.

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:14 AM

This may enlighten some on WMD as to its a 2 party thing.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:05 PM

That's easy - that would be President Clinton and his lovely wife Hillary.

Oh, and President Bush and his lovely Vice President Cheney, too.

Also, the British, the Russians, the French, the Israelis,

and, if I remember correctly,

they guy on the corner that sells hot dogs!

(The Sabrett dogs, not the Vienna ones.)

:thumbsup:

Oops, I forgot the Germans. My apologies to any of the board members from Germany.

Although, I don't believe any of them said "full to overflowing".

But, they did say Iraq had WMDs.

I suppose, one could make the argument that what they were saying (including the hot dog vendor) was that "the prevailing intelligence and information we have shows that Iraq has WMDs".

At the time, that was a correct statement, so in my opinion, this isn't a good example of politician's telling us a lie.

But then, we've been lied to so many times about what is a lie, that I'm not surprised some of us are confused.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#15 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:57 PM

To lie is to purposively distort the truth. In the case of politicians and most news media, this is generally impossible because they themselves do not know what the truth is, and do not have any conception whatsoever about the proper methodology to arrive at it.
What should be of more concern to everyone is that they are able (without attributing any sinister motivation to any of them) to distort the truth so easily, and to supplant reason with slogans. And for so many hearers and readers to take their words as approximating the truth of the matter.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 04 June 2007 - 05:04 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users