Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using 2 Ram Cards

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:07 PM

Recently, I upgraded my ram from 512MB to 1GB. I wanted to add it on but when I put the 512MB into the second slot the computer would not start up right or not start up at all. Either one would work alone, atleast in the first slot. I don't remember trying them individually in the second slot. I just remember that together they did not work. But they were both DDR and other than differing sizes they were compatible. I've heard conflicting opinions as to whether or not it could be that my motherboard was defective. If I go out and buy a compatible 1GB Ram what are the chances it will work in the second slot? What do you think?

Edited by GoodFortitude, 31 May 2007 - 02:08 PM.

A man isn't measured by how many men he can bring down but, rather, by how many he brings up.

Change your circumstances; change your mind.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:57 PM

What kind of Motherboard is it ( Make and model number ) and what kind of ram is it.. Include the memory type DDR 400 etc..
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:59 PM

The Ram is 512MB and a 1GB DDR - 400 MD4412UOE

The Motherboard I'm not too sure about but the reciept says MB ECS 755-A2 v1.0 RTL if that's any help. Otherwise please tell me where to look on my pc. I tried the device manager but couldn't find anything. I purchased from Newegg the item # is N82E16813135151. Thanks for the help Sneakycyber!

Edited by GoodFortitude, 01 June 2007 - 01:01 PM.

A man isn't measured by how many men he can bring down but, rather, by how many he brings up.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:26 PM

Are they both DDR 400? I found all the information on your computer and as far as i can tell if the memory modules are both DDR-400 they should work together. As for installing 1 dim of DDR-400 1024 MB acording to the board manufacture ( ECS ) it will work.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:38 PM

I'm pretty sure they were both ddr 400, but I am about to crack open my case just to be sure. Here is a link to my MB...will you take a look?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboard...55a2.html#sect0

O.k. I just looked at my Ram card and this is what it says 1GB DDR DIMM, Q
A0T QD PO#128918

That's it. But, it didn't specify whether it was 400 or not.

Edited by GoodFortitude, 01 June 2007 - 08:30 PM.

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:53 PM

A system info program such as SIW, EVEREST, or BELARC could give you some useful information. You should find them here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html.

Good luck

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:37 PM

I downloaded the manual for your Motherboard thats where I got the information from. If you determine that both Ram modules are DDR-400. I can look for more solutions.

Reference:
ECS Web site

Edited by Sneakycyber, 02 June 2007 - 02:38 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#8 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:09 PM

Wow, Rowal, that was a kick??? post for me. I'm using Everest within a few minutes and I love it. I really needed that utility. Thanks very much. I'm a happier camper now. This should help alot>>>

Field Value
System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:29 AM

So all is good now?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:50 AM

FWIW - not all DDR RAM is compatible with other DDR RAM. I've found a few instances where they won't play well together (mostly it's off brands in an OEM computer not working well with PNY RAM).

Also, try them individually in the second slot - that'll tell you if the slot is bad or if it's just incompatibility.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:04 PM

So all is good now?

Well, I'm still not completely sure what I did. But, I think I know the problem. Does 400 mean 400 rpms? Because, after I used the EVEREST utility, I found that the pc3200 is a 200 rpm ddr ram. That would mean that they're incompatible right? I thought that as long as they were both DDR that they would work fine together.

Motherboard

Memory Module Properties
Serial Number None
Module Size 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
""Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)""
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

So, I take it when I go to buy my other 1gb ram that I will have to get another 200 mhz one. Probably another pc3200 ddr just like this one right?

Edited by GoodFortitude, 03 June 2007 - 02:12 PM.

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:42 PM

You have two sims one is 512 one is 1024. IMO if the 1024 is DDR 400 I would keep that and purchase more DDR 400 the memory will run faster and you will see a mild increase in system performance. If the majority of your memory is DDR 200 and you wan't to max out your motherboard another 1024 of DDR 200 is your least expensive choice. So Your board will not run two different memory speeds. It supports both DDR 200 and DDR 400 just not at the same time.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#13 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:30 PM

I've never tried this before but what I believe you could do is start up your BIOS and clock down your 400mhz card to 200 mhz so their speeds would match up... just a suggestion.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#14 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:45 PM

As I understand it, the PC2700 - PC3200 etc specifies the number of pins on the RAM stick that that particular socket will take. If this is not correct, someone please jump in.

There are so many different types of RAM out there, you have to be totally sure you are getting the right one before you commit yourself - especially sight unseen, as it were.

I believe that sites such as crucial.com will scan your machine and suggest compatible units.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#15 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:14 PM

I'm gonna jump in there. The PC-#### value has nothing to do with the actual number of pins on the RAM. The most common PC pins are 184 pins and the newer 240 pins. 240 pins are referred to as DDR2 as his 184-pin chip would be referred to as DDR chips. His are 184-pin RAMs. If you are unable to underclock the faster chip, the course I would reccommend is just buy a PC 3200 DDR 400 512MB to match the one he already has and replace the slower DDR 200 chip.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 03 June 2007 - 06:16 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users