Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Kind Of Hard Drive Do I Buy?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:59 PM

Right now I have a 40 GB 7200 rpm Samsung hard drive. I need more space! I would like to be able to just add the new one (internally) to my computer if possible. I use my computer mostly for gaming so I am looking for smooth game play obviously, but I also do not want to over-tax my processor (if that's even possible) or my wallet!! So what kinds of things do I need to consider when buying a new hard drive?

Specs
AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.6 Ghz
1 GB DDR Ram
NVidia GeForce 7600 GS
w/16x DVD ROM drive

Windows XP

Thanks for any input..

Edited by GoodFortitude, 31 May 2007 - 02:00 PM.

A man isn't measured by how many men he can bring down but, rather, by how many he brings up.

Change your circumstances; change your mind.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 i have no name

i have no name

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:22 PM

First you want to find out what kind of connection the hard drive has and what can the motherboard support, like say you have a motherboard with sata then you would want to get a sata hard drive. If you would use your computer for gaming i would recommend a higher rpm hard drive like a 10,000 rpm or something along those lines but those are less reliable and another important thing is do you even have the room in your case to hold it.
My system specs
Small chip that goes fast some spinning things a case, a mouse, and a keyboard and a wonderful rectanlge box of colors.

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:32 PM

As i have no name has mentioned, the most important thing is to check the type of hard drive you presently have. I am assuming you have a desktop. An older machine will probably have an IDE or Parallel ATA connection, while a newer machine will probably have a Serial SATA connection.
When you get your new drive, just set the jumper on the back to SLAVE, plug in the two cables and you are away. Go to My Computer/Right Click/ Manage and you can initialise the new drive and Format and Partition it as required.

One thing which will make your new addition work as fast as possible, is to make a new Paging File on your new drive and remove the one from your old drive. This means that you have a separate head working on your paging file which is the fastest way to go. As you have 1GB of RAM, the new Paging File should be 1.5 - 3 times the size of your physical RAM. I would tend to make your new one about 2GB.

There is a big difference in the price of the same item out there, so hunt around for the best deal.

Let us know how you get on, it is always good to know how things go.

Cheers

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:43 PM

Is there any way for you to post the mainboard (if custom) or the computer model here?
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

The Motherboard is MB ECS 755-A2 v1.0 RTL in Greek, in English I don't know what the heck it is. The only thing I can find for the computer is in the Device Manager and that would be an ACPI Uniprocessor PC :flowers:. Don't know if that helps. Thanks for input!!!!!

But, yes, if we could get really specific that would be very nice!!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by GoodFortitude, 01 June 2007 - 01:40 PM.

A man isn't measured by how many men he can bring down but, rather, by how many he brings up.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:20 PM

Found it: here is an article at XBit Labs: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboard...55a2.html#sect0
according to the article, some of these boards do not have the raid capabilities. This board will use IDE or SATA hard drives.

Edited by oldf@rt, 01 June 2007 - 05:23 PM.

#7 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:34 PM

Nice link. Yep, that looks like my MB. Thanks. Atleast now I know I have some options. Right now there is plenty of room in the case, but only one other IDE slot right beside the one going to my current hard drive. And, my Main IDE cable only has a connection for my dvd and hard drive, that's it. Could I just use the Second IDE slot and connect directly to my second hard drive with a new cable? Or, do they have to be connected together with the same cable?

Edited by GoodFortitude, 01 June 2007 - 08:52 PM.

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:56 AM

The DVD and hard drive should not be on the same cable. IDE 0 should be: hard drive(s) IDE 1 should be optical drives.

why not use SATA instead, the average cost seems to be a little bit less per gig than ide, plus you have the option if you have the A2 model of using two different smaller drives and setting up a raid 0

Edited by oldf@rt, 02 June 2007 - 01:58 AM.

#9 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:21 PM

So...so far it seems like I am looking for around a 10000, or so, RPM SATA hard drive to add along with my 40 GB HD. That pretty much it? Will I then have to access them separately? Also, I've only ever installed IDE drives. I have to do all my own work...you know. :thumbsup:

Edited by GoodFortitude, 02 June 2007 - 03:22 PM.

#10 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:34 PM

Really, unless you are REALLY hardcore, I wouldn't get a 10000 rpm hard drive. Sure they're faster, but it's not like you need them over a 7200 16 meg cache sata. IMO, only servers and real enthusiasts need them.

Posted Image

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:35 AM

The new Seagate 7200 rpm models are leaving my 10,000 rpm Raptors in the dust according to the benchmarks at Tom's Hardware! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:30 AM

Some of the SATA drives that I just looked at were less that 60.00 for 120 gig on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148161

#13 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:33 PM

Here is a link to another nice Seagate Barracuda. So far as my research goes, this is the best of the best drive, no clicking and fast times, 320G for $90-ish. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148140
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#14 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:37 PM

OK I just wanted to stop this before it got any worse... what does IMO mean?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#15 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:02 PM

IMO = in my opinion

Check this out Ryan 3000: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/90792/chat-abbreviations/

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users