Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux & Hardware

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

In my continuing quest to someday install Linux I've been doing some testing. SUSE comes with a nifty option to 'test firmware' which I ran yesterday. Two things 'failed' and I am wondering how serious it might be.

"ED Boot disk hinting" didn't work
HPET configuration didn't work

This is a 5-6 year old machine, so maybe it's not got the latest and greatest BIOS functions. Would either of these hinder a contemporary Linux system?

Also, I've been seeing odd results with one particulat piece of hardware. An LG GCC-4521B CD/DVD drive. When I try to boot Knoppix 3.1 on this drive, it freezes at the 'scsi' detection test. Putting "noscsi" into the boot parms lets it finish booting. The same thing happens with an Ubuntu 6.1 "Live" disk which is several years newer, and the same fix also works. But this is an ATAPI CD drive, not an SCSI device. Why would SCSI detection get hung up on a CD drive? So far, booting the SUSE 10.2 disks has not had any problems, so I am hoping they've got their detection figured out for this particular drive.

Edited by Alchemist, 31 May 2007 - 01:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users