Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Website Found, Waiting For Reply...forever!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 2bigsteve

2bigsteve

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:00 PM

My main computer, running XP, has stopped accessing the internet, both IE and Firefox. Receive the message of "website found waiting for reply" and the percentage bar goes about halfway, then nothing. My other two computers on this wireless home network access the net just fine.

Also, my McAfee Security Center opens to a blank, white page (virus scan icon in the taskbar is black, disabled), and System Restore also opens to a blank, white page.

All desktop applications not associated with the internet open fairly rapidly, i.e. normally.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:55 PM

Welcome 2bigsteve

Sounds like a connectivity problem which may or may not be related to malware. Have you performed any anti-spyware scans? Have you tried doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"?

If you don't have any anti-malware programs see BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources and at least scan with Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D. I would also recommend that you download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users.

You could also try System Restore from a command prompt in "SAFE MODE" to return to a previous state before your problems began?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 2bigsteve

2bigsteve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for your response...unfortunately, none of these suggestions worked. I ran Noadware and Spybot S&D in safe mode and removed the malware Noadware found (Spybot says I'm clean). I cannot download the SuperAntiSpyware program as I cannot access the net (I did download it to the other networked computers and malware was found on one). Also could not access System REstore in safe mode as it doesn't connect as previously stated, only gives a blank, white screen.

Downloaded the old Norton AntiVirus 2002 from the disk that came with the computer. It says it's scanning but nothing happens. If I do a fresh reload of Windows XP, will that fix the problem in your opinion? Of course, any other suggestions are welcome.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:11 PM

Since you have access to another computer that can access the internet, download Super Antispyware and Hijack This to another medium and then install on the infected computer.
Using an old out ofdate antimalware is a waste of time. Malware changes daily.
Use the link below for a link to download Hijack This. After running the Super Antispyware in safe mode post the Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:09 PM

I ran Noadware...

NoAdaware is a program that was previously listed as a rogue product on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products list because of concerns with False positive and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising including exploitation of the name "Ad-Aware". It has since been delisted but in my opinion it is not a very effective program compared to others with a proven track those mentioned in BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources or one of the other Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users