Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing A New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cakesunlimited

cakesunlimited

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:38 AM

Hi
I have been trying to install Windows XP onto my new computer which had Vista already installed - don't like Vista - can't get along with it and none of my programmes work with it. So would like to put XP onto this PC. Bought OEM version and tried to install but although I changed the BIOS to load from CD it gets so far and then stops with a blue screen saying that there is a problem and it won't go any further. The guy I bought the XP from doesn't seem to know exactly how to get around this - the hard drive has a thin red cable if that is of any assistance.

What I have been thinking today though is - could I buy a new internal hard drive and disconnect the existing one. Then install Windows XP on the new drive. I might like to keep the old hard drive in there in case there is a time when I may want to go to Vista.

I understand I can partition the hard drive or something and have both OS working on there but that all seems a bit too complicated for me. I can do a few things but by no means a computer whizz.

Maybe it is not possible to do this but just had the though this morning. Any help would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:28 AM

My understanding of Microsoft's End User Licence Agreement for OEM versions of XP is that it can only be used on the computer that it originally came installed on and cannot be transferred to another computer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:19 AM

@Budapest: Probably, you misunderstood what cakesunlimited had said. He bought a PC with Vista pre-installed and he does not like Vista, thus he went to bought XP OEM.

@cakesunlimited: Could you tell us what is the error stated in the blue screen? Take a look at the link.

How to find BSOD Error Messages

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:53 AM

Since your hard drive has the "thin red cable" I'd suspect it was a SATA hard drive.
Did you load the SATA drivers when prompted by the Windows installation CD? It's a prompt at the bottom of the screen that says something like "Press F6 to load RAID/SCSI drivers"?

If the SATA drivers for your mobo's controllers aren't loaded, then XP won't be able to recognize the drive in order to install (Vista is a bit easier in this regard). This could be the reason for the Blue Screen of Death.

For more info on BSOD messages and their interpretation, try this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 cakesunlimited

cakesunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:23 AM

My understanding of Microsoft's End User Licence Agreement for OEM versions of XP is that it can only be used on the computer that it originally came installed on and cannot be transferred to another computer.

It has not been used on another computer - I bought a brand new version of XP

#6 cakesunlimited

cakesunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:25 PM

If I bought a new hard drive - could I merely disconnect the present drive and put the new one in its place and then install the Windows XP I have? It is
an OEM full install Windows XP Professional version.

Edited by cakesunlimited, 02 June 2007 - 03:28 PM.

#7 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:30 PM

Yes, but you would still need the SATA drivers for the Hard Drive. Unless you buy an IDE drive, if your motherboard will support it.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#8 cakesunlimited

cakesunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:50 PM

Yes, but you would still need the SATA drivers for the Hard Drive. Unless you buy an IDE drive, if your motherboard will support it.

-Steve

So where do I find these SATA drivers??

#9 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:54 PM

A simple google search should give you them.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#10 cakesunlimited

cakesunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:59 PM

Since your hard drive has the "thin red cable" I'd suspect it was a SATA hard drive.
Did you load the SATA drivers when prompted by the Windows installation CD? It's a prompt at the bottom of the screen that says something like "Press F6 to load RAID/SCSI drivers"?

If the SATA drivers for your mobo's controllers aren't loaded, then XP won't be able to recognize the drive in order to install (Vista is a bit easier in this regard). This could be the reason for the Blue Screen of Death.

For more info on BSOD messages and their interpretation, try this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491

I press F6 when prompted but then I get another screen which gives me the option to press S for Start or Esc. I then get another screen which says the computer cannot detect a floppy drive.

#11 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:03 PM

i could be wrong, but i dont think you should need to change the bios to boot from the cd in order to install windows xp. maybe you should try setting the bios back to the way it was and then put in the cd and try again.

#12 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:11 PM

i could be wrong, but i dont think you should need to change the bios to boot from the cd in order to install windows xp. maybe you should try setting the bios back to the way it was and then put in the cd and try again.

#13 cakesunlimited

cakesunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:12 PM

Well it was booting from the hard drive every time until I did that - I was told to do that by the person I purchased the disc from.

#14 cakesunlimited

cakesunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:37 PM

A simple google search should give you them.

I'm sorry but I've never done anything like this before - ever. I don't know what to search for and when I find them I don't know what to do with them.
Help pleeeeeeeeeeese!!!!
Thank you so much for your help so far

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:28 AM

What motherboard do you have?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users