Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bookmarks / Favourites Manager

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:32 PM

Hi There,

I cannot seem to find a neat tool to have quick and easy access to my over 800 bookmarks. I downloaded Bookmark buddy, but had to realise that it is payware. While this is a great tool, I would very much love to use a freeware alternative. The great and extensive list gathered here unfortunately does not seem to offer such alternative.

Has anyone got a tipp for me?

Cheers,

YoHi

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:10 PM

Favorites mgr-PCMag This one's for I.E.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:59 PM

Thanks,

forgot to mention tho that I use Firefox.

Posted Image

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:07 AM

Is there anything in the Firefox Add-ons; Browse Bookmarks that'll work for you?
FWIW, the next version of Firefox (coming out sometime in autumn) will include a totally revised bookmarking system...
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:23 AM

Hey TMacK,

thanks for the reply. I already use some of them, but they are like "in browser" appliances. I would love to have an easy to search tool like Bookmark buddy. But 30 $ is a bit heavy for my wallet atm lol. Plus I try to get all my stuff to become opensource tools.

Its weekend now and I ll have a browse through the WWW and see if I find something.

Cheers,

Johannes

Posted Image

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:32 PM

Don't forget Sorceforge
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:35 AM

Mhhm,

the only thing that could come close to bookmark buddy is this :flowers: :

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bkm/

Thanks tho for the link. meant to search sf for something else today too :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:21 PM

While not technically a bookmark manager, the FoxMarks extension for Firefox allows you to synchronize your bookmarks between various systems through an internet server. I believe you can also view the bookmarks online.

I've got over 4000 bookmarks and have given up organizing them. I just keep a tab open in Firefox that displays them, then use the Find function to locate what I recall about it. Here's what the address looks like in my browser:
file:///C:/Users/FUBAR/Application%20Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/48srcvjw.default/bookmarks.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:08 PM

Here is the Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer .
This is an interesting Guide that provides a whole lot of options on Firefox Bookmark Back Up Extensions/Utilities and More .
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#10 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:16 AM

Thanks guys. I do use Foxmarks and eaysbm. But those are online tools. Its just that I loved the way that you typed like two letters in bookmark buddy and it automatically shows you the few bookmarks that are available with these letters. It speeds up searching by far and doesnt clutter up lhs/rhs or top of my browser window. There s nothing more that I hate than those sidebars :thumbsup: . The bookmark search of firefox I regards as crap. I guess I will either have to buy the tool or try that one tool in more detail, I mentioned above. I ll have to play with it tonite. Now its off to work / doctors :flowers:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users